Home Off Topic

Smoke in my throat causing a dry throat all the the time

gracarvegracarve Pro Posts: 22
Recently there was a big fire where I live and I didn't know about. There was a lot of smoke in the air and I slept with my window open and I inhaled some in my sleep. I've been using my humidifier to try to clean out my throat and lungs,and that seems to work a bit. I need to clean everything out during this week. I've heard peppermint works. Any suggestions?

Comments

• huberthubert Pro Posts: 125
    edited July 2016
    Take a day or two off and let your throat and vocal folds moisten itself. Take a long steamy shower in the morning and in the evening. About an hour after a shower start doing your vocal exercises lightly and gently. Notice if everything feels right or if you need a little more time to heal. Our bodies heal themselves well if you give it some time.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Drink lots of extra water to help clean your body out. In addition to showers and your humidifier, you can pick up facial-mask type steamers, to help moisturize your nasal area and throat.
  • gracarvegracarve Pro Posts: 22
    The thing is, is that it's taken away from my upper register. I can do stuff with chest and mid voice, but when I try to hit my high notes with my head voice, the stuff in my throat makes it just sound like nothing, but air being pushe'd out
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I'm wondering if whether either your cords are swollen from exposure to the soot you inhaled, or there is gunk in your vocal tract and sinuses that is preventing proper phonation and resonance.

You should see a physician and inquire if there is a way to be examined with regard to the symptoms you are having.

Otherwise, barring vaporization and hydration, you may just have to wait this out. I would go to an ENT and ask for help. I've had symptoms like this from viral illnesses, and they can take months to recover from. An ENT can advise you as to whether there is a treatment to help you recover faster.
    I found a solution, but it will take time to clear everything out. I took a long hot shower and just breathed in a ton of steam and I'm starting to get my upper register back. I'm actually pretty excited about this.
    Sounds like that is moistening the gunk and soot that got up into the far reaches of your respiratory passages. You may be right about this taking a long time to get cleansed out.

Glad you're seeing some progress.
    I got my upper register back. Now I just need to build it back up and back to health
    Be careful, especially at first, to go easy on your voice, especially at and near the passaggio. It's probably still healing. Give it some time to recover.