Home Off Topic

David coverdale range

coljacolja Member Posts: 45
https://youtu.be/WyF8RHM1OCg

Sorry for my stupid high note questions, but I'm 14 going through puberty, and I have a band in which I sing very high songs with chest voice (rock n roll,...) well, I used to hit F#5-G5 with my chest, but my voice is deepening and I am freaking out! I really want to be a tenor, and I want to sing that C5! I can right now, but very strained! By the way, my vocal range in full voice is A2-C5... Anyways, to the point of this question! At 4:12 in this video, david sings "the lonely STREET of dreams"... Well that "street" is a D5. He's a baritone, so it would be hard to sing that with chest... Even tenors can't! But it sounds soooo chesty! How does he do that?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It takes a lot of training. Just because he is classified as a Baritone, and has a beefy lower chest voice, does not mean that he can't shed that beefy weight as he goes up the scale and hit notes that are not "classified" as "official baritone notes". Yes, it's hard to do, unless you train to do that, and take good care of your voice. Even when you train to do it, it's not a walk in the park for your average "baritone"...or as you say, even for your average "tenor".
  • coljacolja Member Posts: 45
    null
    So that's chest voice? Holy damn... Dude's good! So you can improve your range by that much? Damn
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You're not just "stuck" with your range and that's it. You can expand your range through training. Not everyone will make it to D5. Many will give up, and not do the work that is required, because it takes a long time and isn't so easy. If you stick with it and do what is required, you may make it, too.
    highmtn said:

You're not just "stuck" with your range and that's it. You can expand your range through training. Not everyone will make it to D5. Many will give up, and not do the work that is required, because it takes a long time and isn't so easy. If you stick with it and do what is required, you may make it, too.

Oooh, I won't give up! Trust me! I have probably spent 90 hours searching for terms like mix voice, expand chest voice,... in the past week! Mostly because I'm in a band, and I also sing! It's my future as well, so I won't give up singing because I simply can't!
    By the way, I asked other people, and they said that it's mixed voice... I'm confused now :P
    Even if you consider it a mix, it has a component of chest voice in it that you cannot add unless you can take your chest voice up to a D5. Otherwise it would be pure head voice, which it is not.

We're not here to answer for the other people you consult with. They probably do not teach you to stretch your chest voice that high, and then they call a nasal head voice "mix". That's not what Coverdale is doing on that note.
  • viniciusoliveiraviniciusoliveira Enrolled Posts: 303
    Even if you consider it a mix, it has a component of chest voice in it that you cannot add unless you can take your chest voice up to a D5. Otherwise it would be pure head voice, which it is not.

In other words its a mid voice,right?
    I've read human beings can't go above G#4 with pure chest,although we can through mid voice :)
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited July 2017
    I am not too comfortable with all the terminology, but with mid-voice, you mean passed the first passaggio maybe? I can feel when i'm kind of leaving my speaking register, Ken also talks about this. I enter a new area of the voice, and when that starts to reach its limits i can start to blend through the passaggio to head voice. Or blend earlier, whatever you like of course.
  • viniciusoliveiraviniciusoliveira Enrolled Posts: 303
    bentk said:

I am not too comfortable with all the terminology, but with mid-voice, you mean passed the first passaggio maybe?

Yes.
    bentk said:

I can feel when i'm kind of leaving my speaking register, Ken also talks about this. I enter a new area of the voice, and when that starts to reach its limits i can start to blend through the passaggio to head voice. Or blend earlier, whatever you like of course.

I agree.

As you said,it goes like this:
    Chest (ends at 1st passaggio)>Mid voice>Mixed voice (ends at the second passaggio)>Head voice.

The more you train,the higher you can go above your second passaggio with mixed voice,though.
    Its also possible to only shift from mid to mixed\head voice at one's second passaggio,yet it takes harder work.

I keep wondering whether its possible to change one's passaggio from ,lets say,G#4-G#5 to B5-G6 or something. Sounds impossible,yet that would be cool