Home Off Topic

Can I tell if I'll be a tenor?

coljacolja Member Posts: 45
Can voice types be predicted? Let's say if my dad is a baritone/bass... Will I be a baritone as well? Or how does it work? Is there a way that I can predict what I'll be?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Your dad being a baritone won't necessarily mean that you will be, too. How low can you sing? Most true tenors can't sing low baritone notes. Their voices are thinner, and can go high, but not so low.

What is more important is whether you will be doing workouts that will stretch your range and expand it, and how much you apply yourself to that work.
  • coljacolja Member Posts: 45
    null
    I can go down to A2 but it's not clean and it sounds horrible... If I want to sing clean, I can go down to B2-C3. I could sing a C5 1 week ago, but I'm not sure if I still can. I tried singing quietly with my chest voice and I cracked at G4... I think it's because I need to sing louder! I can only reach C5 when I am really loud (almost screaming)... That's normal right?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You will have to sing a little louder than normal head voice, but not much. Almost screaming is WAY too loud to be singing a normal chest voice C5.