Home Off Topic

Bass Register?

eRichey72eRichey72 Pro Posts: 13
Is it possible to learn the bass techniques Avi Kaplan, Tim Foust, Paul David Kennamer use to sing/speak their extreme low notes, within the first octave? Singing low would be pretty cool too :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Ken's course does teach you to expand your range in both directions, but at this point does not have modules that are specific to extreme bass techniques.
  • coljacolja Member Posts: 45
    eRichey72 said:

Is it possible to learn the bass techniques Avi Kaplan, Tim Foust, Paul David Kennamer use to sing/speak their extreme low notes, within the first octave? Singing low would be pretty cool too :)

Search for subharmonics. Those are amazing when mastered.
  • eRichey72eRichey72 Pro Posts: 13
    https://soundcloud.com/eric-richey-860115113/low-rider-demo

I messed around with the song Low Rider for a few moments. Does this low range count as a chest-fry mix, or is it only fry?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    At times when you have a chest sound going WITH a fry (breakup) in the sound it's a mix, but most of the time you are frying it's just fry. It sounds good, and I don't think most people are going to pick it apart and complain about the fry. The fry sounds pretty low.
  • eRichey72eRichey72 Pro Posts: 13
    edited December 2016
    https://soundcloud.com/eric-richey-860115113/low-range

The confusing thing about the lowest register of the voice is the point where you have to embrace the natural fry that occurs as you cross into the first octave. I know I'm losing power around the low D, going into the C territory, and I try to mix into even lower notes so they sound full. I believe I have the timbral qualities of a high bass, or extremely low baritone. So I've been looking for similar voiced singers to aspire to for range as well, not sure if Peter Steele of Type O Negative is all I have.
  • JcbJcb Member Posts: 15
    Well if you Listen closely you will notice 2 things 1. When they Hit this Note only at the end of the Song 2. They mostly don't say any Word. Cuz alot of it has to do with how to project that Note and also distorting the voice in someone.