Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Asthma and allergies.

Could Asthma and allergies make your singing worse and how do i sing if i have both? It could help with punk music possibly lol and somewhat metal but i don't know how many breathes to take and what i should do honestly.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Asthma and allergies affect your breathing so yes, they can and do affect your singing. People with allergies and asthma just have to do what they can to minimize the effects by treating their asthma or allergies as best they can, and to get into as good vocal shape that they are able, despite their condition.

Good vocal techniques help any singer to sound better or to have better control over their voice.
  • JasonMoonwaterJasonMoonwater Member Posts: 10
    Know any good vocal techniques? and thanks for replying back !
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, there are a ton of good vocal techniques in Ken's program. There are a number of items that he covers that are essential in building a solid foundation for the voice. Once the voice is built on a strong foundation, illnesses and allergies have a harder time knocking your voice off-track.

I can't give you Ken's entire program in a response to a question, but the gist of this is that to resist the setbacks of allergies and illnesses, you need a strong voice with a strong foundation, and you'll be able to maintain a pretty high standard and consistency of voice. You will have health setbacks, but they will be minimized if you are in the best vocal shape you can be. There are no few tips that provide this. An entire vocal regimen/program will get you there, if it's solid and you do the work to build your voice correctly.

A lot of students here have asthma or allergies. Your best defense is a strong, trained voice, and taking good care of yourself physically.

All the Best, Jason!

Bob
    Im saving up money for the program lol Thanks for the advice and inspiration , never knew you can have a certain vocal shape for singing :open_mouth: Ill try strengthening my voice more so allergies dont affect me.
    You absolutely can have a more robust voice, that even when you are at your worst is much better than your healthy voice when it's untrained.
    I've been strengthening it for a month now and it sounds almost identical to Kurt Cobains voice when he sang but i can only sing along to his music not by myself. Thanks for the tips again and i appreciated it.
  • alixchris444alixchris444 Pro Posts: 5
    I have asthma and seasonal allergies and use the following (other than my normal asthma meds) to try and keep problems at bay or treat them when they occur anyway

1. steroid nasal spray (prescription)...this stops any allergies becoming post nasal drip
    2. steam inhalation with eucalyptus
    3. vocalzone pastilles (don't suck them too much...breathe the vapour from the lozenge in so it feels like it's coating your throat and opening up your airways)
    4. ginger tea
    5. manuka honey and lemon (gargle it, then drink it)

Hope some (or all) of this helps you...it helps me loads!

Alix x :smile:
    Ill give it a try :smile: