Home Welcome

Beginner & need guidance help

mykalmykal Pro Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in Welcome
So if you bought all three volumes or the entire bundle, what do you start with if your new to singing, for example do I go straight to volume 1, or go work on pitch, where do I start, please help!!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You start with Volume 1, normally. But if you're brand-new to singing, or aren't sure about Pitch, then it would probably be best to do the pitch program first. If you later find that you're having problems with pitch, you may need to go back and work on pitch more.
  • siggsigg Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    I also just bought the program in December 2016 and I am a little confused by how I should work out.

I read the pdf for Volume 1 and watched all the movies for Vol. 1 a few times but I am still confused :smile:

How should I proceed?

Should I:

a) Do the WHOLE audio workout every day

or

b) Try to "master" each track (audio file) for example by training the "ah vowel" over and over again for a few days and then move on to the next?

or

c) Should I use a completely different method?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2017
    @sigg,

Either A or B is OK. "A" would give you an overview, but you don't really have time to work through and perfect things.

"B" is the way I work. I go over anything that I have flaws in over and over until I begin to work the flaws out. I may not get through very many exercises, but the ones I work on teach me a lot more than just blowing through everything. The next day I may start at the beginning again to see if my "fixes" "held", or I may start where I left out.

You should also be practicing in two different ways. One way is to sing the scales and go into head voice for the higher notes, working on getting a smooth transition from chest voice into head voice.

The second way I should practice is to stretch chest voice. For that, I do the same exercises as the previous way, but this time I do not allow myself to go into head voice on the high notes. Instead, I add just a little bit of volume and RESIST going into head voice. I take my chest voice as high as I am able to go. I eventually get so high that I can't go any higher. I stretch my upper limits, but I don't strain. I either stop and start over on that exericise, or I advance the playback to the next scale that I can do come in on when it gets low enough for me to sing.

Each day I do both. I work on connecting chest voice to head voice without a yodel or break, and I also work on stretching (not straining) my chest voice. Eventually I learn to sing much higher notes in my full chest voice.

Expect each volume to last at least about 3 months. This will take time. Your voice will need to literally grow. That takes time. This will get easier as you learn more about it and become more accustomed to it.

One thing that will help a lot is if you record yourself often and listen to the playback. It may sound awful to you at first, but you will learn a lot, more quickly. Everybody hates the sound of their own voice on recordings at first, but it's a great tool, and you need to get over that aversion to hearing yourself. The only way to do that is to just do it. Soon, you'll start hearing things you like about your voice.

All the best!

Bob