Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method

Blew voice out at work. Finilly gettin speaking voice back now what

JonnyquickJonnyquick Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 202
Been doing the course roughly a couple weeks. Love it. I eat drink and sleep the videos and the exercises.
Back story. When I started this I was on break from work 9 days off. Woohoo.
So I watched the DVD vol 1. Over and over. To copy ken.taking notes after each video. Then doing the audio with ken. Everyday. Not singing and songs thru out the day. Just the exersizes. I enjoyed it. Felt my voice get amazing. Free. Effect less. Soothing.
Then my vacation is over and back to work. I work at a machine shop. It's loud about 80 dcb in te area I work. So when you talk your talking pushing straining. On top of it it's not a well ventilated room. Air quality wise. So I blew my voice out talking to much. I haven't been able to do anything barely talk for a week. All I drank was water , honey, lemon , tea. Lots. It's slowly getting better. I have no head voice. Only chest. Upset cause my head voice was sounding nice. Lol.
So now what? Was the daily exercises to much? What's the best thing for your voice in my situation? Looking for some guidance.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You'll have to be careful with the loud talking in the loud environment at work. Also, you need to be aware that growing the voice will not just take a couple of weeks or even a couple of months. So don't get too frisky with singing, especially if it's loud and/or high.

Oversinging is something we all need to learn to do. Part of what you will learn here is how to cut back the volume. You haven't gotten to that yet, and it will take time to develop your voice.

So take your foot off the gas pedal a little bit and keep it on the brakes when you're coming down the mountain. You need to learn to govern your voice and cut back the breath. That will take time.

For now, give your voice a break, don't do that straining-talking thing at work, if there's any way to avoid it. Nurse your head voice back into shape by only singing very, very lightly in head voice. The head voice is very tender, and can be blown out easily by oversinging or even by overtalking in loud environments. Give it time, and be very gentle with the head voice. It can't take the kind of volume/air pressure that chest voice can take. And that's not good for chest voice, either.

You have a long vocal future ahead of you, as long as you protect your voice and learn to control how you use it. As to your work environment, you're going to have to learn to protect your voice in that din.

A lot of hearing protectors will cut the noise down by about 35 dB and still allow you to hear conversational speaking, despite the loud background noise. Do you use headphone-style ear protection at work?
  • JonnyquickJonnyquick Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 202
    I have used them in the past ear plugs. I usually put headphones in and listen to music. My hear is perfect. I've learned to calm down on the loudnes of talking. Lots of tea and warm liq. It's getting better. Slowly.
  • JonnyquickJonnyquick Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 202
    No I use iPhone ear phones