Home Vocal Health and Wellness

My voice atrophied.

Hello, my voice has atrophied due to intensive head voice training.I could hit strong C5 before and now A4 is strained. I did week of volume 1, week of volume 2 and now I started volume 3 again. Have you got any tips for me?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Keep it light. Head voice is on a tender part of the cords, and needs to get over any swelling that may happen from oversinging. Practice singing head voice at much lighter volume. Give it time to recover. Do alternate between head voice and chest voice-stretching, but try to keep it light.
  • kjanek17kjanek17 Enrolled Posts: 34
    Bob, my chest voice atrophied, not head voice. I wont do head voice training again in this year
    Should I stop doing head voice in excersises to recover chest voice faster?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Don't rush to try to hurry.

The instructions Ken gives in Building Head Voice tell you to alternate back and forth, equally, between chest voice and head voice so that the chest voice that you previously worked to stretch and grow won't atrophy.

I would put the focus back on chest voice, but not a lot of force. You need to revive the chest voice, but because it has atrophied now, you can't shock it back into the place that took a while to grow in the first place.

So you should cautiously work on getting your chest voice notes back, one-by-one. Don't rush it, and don't push it.

If and when you go back to the head voice program, follow the instructions to do balanced workouts, alternating between head voice and stretching chest, so that you won't atrophy the chest voice.

And in all situations you must cut back the air and use reduced air pressure as taught in Volume 3 before ever beginning or using the head voice program.

Using some head voice should not be a problem for your voice as long as you keep it light. No loud head voice. Keep it bright and light.

Thank you Bob, you are always helpful