Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

placement and tessitura.

Why do my higher notes always sound better and are much easier to sing? like Notes between A3 to F#4 just fly so easily, and then belting around A4 is so easy. Its like my lower notes hinder me in a sense. Like Ken talked about placement, he said its much easier to sing there once you got the voice placed. And then he said it is alot harder going back up from singing the bottom.

Does anyone else just raise the key of the song to fit your vocal needs? cause im getting really annoyed trying to sing a song, but i just keep making the bottom heavy. Its mostly just a problem while i play guitar.

Its like super frustrating cause i know i can sing it.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    If you want to sing lower, then you should spend more time training in the lower range. Your voice will "set" there, in that placement.

Most students want "higher, higher!" So a lot of exercises are made to build the upper parts of your registers. Just dwell there, in lower octaves, part of every day.

Start the workouts an octave lower when you warm up, then start again in the normal octave. That will balance you out a little lower. You may not be able to have your cake and eat it too, in going from the bottom-most notes to the highest notes possible, unless you have lots of hours to work the entire voice every day, throughout the scales. Even then, your voice has "setpoints" and will lose a few bottom notes if you take it to your highest extremes.
  • kashifbilgramikashifbilgrami Enrolled Posts: 78
    Are you serious! This is insane! It explains alot about the workouts. Now that i look at it, The programs really make that mid voice strong. Like insanely strong. Makes sense on why theres a separate program just for head voice. If anything Bob would you recommend me to just sing the songs in my comfortable tessitura? where its close to my mid voice and feels more relaxed and phonated.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes. If you love singing in the upper mid voice, that is what impresses people the most, due to its emphasis. If you like it, then use that as your center and go as low and as high as you can keep good placement maintained.

Go with the path of least resistance. You're in a good place.