Home The Singer's Lobby

Vocal break

I'm been singing for more than half a year and I just can't get rid of my break. even if I sing super soft I get a break super loud I still get it. I've tried a lot of different exercises and nothing works for me. Any help?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Care to post a video?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Thanks for posting that. Now, could you please post the same scales but with the lip burbles and again with the tongue exercise? Keep the current one up, too, please.
  • LukmenLukmen Member Posts: 29
    I don't know what's a tongue exercise. I'm learning on my own so I thought I could find some help here.
    Do you know what lip burbles are? Lip Trills? If you remove your demo, it will be hard to give you any help.
    edited February 2017
    OK. Thanks for showing both the Lah and the Burble versions.

You're using more force on your voice on the lah than on the Burbles. You are about 400% better on the lip burbles than on the Lah, on the same scales. You almost don't break at all on the burbles.

You kind of have to train your voice to glide past the break without clunking into place as you shift from chest voice to head voice and back again.

Many students can't even do the lip burbles without a noticeable break.

The break is always there, but you learn how to negotiate your way past it more gracefully. That's done by subtly varying the different pressures that are used for chest voice and head voice in a way that you can blend from one to the other without a sudden change.

You need to concentrate on the feeling of that smoother transition you are doing when you do the scale with the lip burbles and try to duplicate it on the lah.

You'll probably have to REALLY REALLY bring the volume down, almost as quietly as you can possibly sing. Try to duplicate that transition you're doing with the burbles. Do the same scale with a burble, then on the lah. Compare. Notice what you're doing differently and adjust. If you are breaking on the burbles, then lower the volume until you find the optimum low pressure.

Once you get this working at super-quiet volumes, you can then very gradually learn to keep your balance at slightly louder levels, until you work your way up to normal volume. It's a matter of learning to balance air pressures that are different for head voice and chest voice. If you get caught off-guard and don't blend between those pressures, your voice will clunk from one register into the other with a yodel. You have to learn to EASE from one to the other in a blending of the pressures. The register break is always there. You just have to learn to minimize it and get past it without the awkward break. Knowing exactly where it is and how to blend through it without clunking through it is the part you have to experiment with and teach yourself how to get through it, first lightly, then with a little more volume.

Everybody has to figure this out for themselves, just like nobody can tell you exactly how to ride a bike. You have to get a few clues and then just get on and ride for yourself. After a few crashes and clunks, you'll find yourself pedalling through your scales without crashing. It's a matter of balancing and remaining in motion, without worrying much about it.

Good luck!

Bob
  • LukmenLukmen Member Posts: 29
    Thank you Bob!
    You're welcome.