Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Asthma

timitzitimitzi Enrolled Posts: 14
edited July 2012 in Vocal Health and Wellness
I really apologize if this has been asked before, but I didn't find any info about it yet.

So, my question is short and simple: how does asthma affect one's singing voice? I have a mild version of asthma, but I'm wondering if it affects my singing some way... How about people with an extreme asthma?

Best Answer

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    edited July 2012 Answer ✓
    It can certainly affect your oxygen use. Ideally, you will need to learn to use less air and (in many cases) maintain a more stationary posture (as opposed to those who run around and sing on stage) however it is VERY doable.Many singers sing with asthma. Your goal is to be extremely focused on maximum support and not rely on your lungs as much as possible. Keep the lungs 1/2 way full and tale short breaths between every phrases possible even if it means splitting up phrases that are normally sung contiguous. I normally try to get my students to sing contiguous phrases because this makes it easier to maintain an open throat position however in your case, shorter phrases will be more helpful if you feel a lack of oxygen.

Answers

• stevessteves Pro Posts: 41
    I have asthma too, and I find that if I take a deep breath it can irritate my bronchial tubes and I burst out coughing.  

When I do the exercises, should I lower my expectations on being able to sustain the duration of my output on scales?

When I do the scales with the videos I find myself running out of breath.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Your expectations should take into consideration your condition, especially the irritation and sensitivity of the bronchial tubes.

Still, your singing workouts should help to give you more stamina, and you may be able to do them very near to as well as anyone without asthma as your strength grows.

We all started out feeling a little weak on the exercises.

Bob