Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method

Belting - By Ken Tamplin

highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Ken Tamplin's review on safe methods of Belting Vocals.

http://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/the-ken-tamplin-guide-to-belting/

Awesome article dispels naysayers' false alarms.  Learn the only safe way to belt out your vocals and wail!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2014

@johnjohn,

Yes, Ken takes the reader through a very comprehensive and advanced path in this article.  The more you know about the voice, the more you get from this article. 

So many have misconceptions about belting, and the voice in general.  Ken is probably the only person on the planet that is Teaching HOW TO BELT SAFELY. 

The critics are right.  Belting UNSAFELY is to be avoided at all costs.  Belting UNSAFELY will end your vocal career.  The critics are wrong when they say that there is no way to belt safely.  They obviously have not studied How to Belt using the methods of Ken Tamplin.

Ken Tamplin teaches safe, proven methods that WORK, day after day, year after year.  If you don't believe belting can be done safely, just listen to Ken.  He's been doing it for 30 years, and his voice sounds like a million bucks! 

Ken Tamplin TEACHES HOW TO BELT SAFELY!

Have a great Gig tonight, John!

Bob

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@johnjohn,

Sounds like you were flying by the seat of your pants, but had a happy landing anyway!!!

Right On, Brother!

Bob

• MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    What a great review by Ken. I see a very similar thing in yoga, where teachers or physical therapists, who do not understand how to do certain poses safely will claim that they are unsafe. They can't or don't do the pose themselves, nor have been trained how to do it properly and yet claim it is unsafe. Often the physical therapists who are claiming things to be dangerous have NEVER even set foot in a yoga class...

Yes, certain poses and practices could be very damaging IF the correct techniques are not applied. Yet with correct application of technique, proper build up of stamina, making sure each muscle is taking its share of the work and doing the job that is needed etc. then you are able to do the pose quite safely day after day after day.

People take one or a few examples of beginners or poorly trained students hurting themselves in poses as evidence that no-one should do them. They overlook that the teacher did not have the knowledge or the ability themselves to demonstrate the techniques properly nor the skill to see when a student is not applying the information correctly. They fail to understand that the student was not adequately trained up, developing both strength and flexibility to be able to manage the pose over a significant period of time, and use this as evidence that it is bad and no-one should ever do it.

There are poses I have been doing safely for almost 30 years now. People will say to me, often just parroting what they heard someone else say btw, ridiculous things like "you will damage your knees" or some other nonsense. Meanwhile I am the only person in the room who is not hobbling around on damaged knees. The only person in the room that can do all the things day after day after day. Correct understanding and application are so important and yet most of the time people are not understanding or applying the techniques and information correctly.

I agree with Ken, do not just take evidence from poorly trained practitioners. Don't just gather evidence from beginners who rushed ahead or tried to practice something they didn't understand at home without the guidance of a skilled and knowledgeable teacher who can actually do it themselves. Gather evidence from those that are managing to do and teach things safely, and have been doing so for a prolonged length of time.

We are so fortunate to have Ken guiding us on the correct way to achieve these things.
  • CherieCherie Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 122
    I don't think I've ever had a vocal teacher who explains the techniques, the anatomy and the science to support his methods and then demonstrates it himself completely nailing every single vocal demonstration. I have paid close attention to Ken Tamplin's explanations and they make a lot of sense. To top it off he produces students that are also just amazing. In all those videos, the demonstrations are just 'knock your socks off' incredible vocals.

Between the forum, the CD's, the DVD's and tons of videos for added clarification, you get a lot of instruction for every dollar invested. In a year, I want to be a vocalist who can prove his methods are working. It's hard to be patient but it will be worth it. If it works for me, I'll tell the world and be convinced it is the most amazing deal on the planet.

Right now, I am very optimistic but still cautious because I'm at the beginning & have only seen amazing results in others. It seems like this could work for me too. I'm willing to give 100% for a year. I should be well into improvements by then.

I don't want my desire to transform my voice cause me to be delusional and believe I'm better when I'm not. Not yet anyway. So I'm going to work hard, enjoy the adventure and really look forward to next spring.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    I want to give this one a slight push to the top again.
  • DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Just came across this post, and man, it's so good we are in the KTVA boat sailing to open waters instead of being left alone like ducks in the shore going quack quack
  • MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    I’ve just spent some time listening to my favourite singers of all time. I’m relatively new to Ken’s teaching and still pretty ignorant about it all but now as I listen to those artists I can hear how they damaged their voices and now can barely sing and can also see the next generation of people coming through who also will struggle in a decades time.
  • markbmarkb Pro Posts: 76
    Is it possible to sing with a Sam Cook vibe….then heavy rock and back consistently.
  • JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108
    Yes, but it requires work and consistency.