Home The Singer's Lobby

Shouting

LukmenLukmen Member Posts: 29
Hey guys been singing for a bit now and I have a question. When I go to G4 I feel like I'm shouting, i mean the volume increases much more than it does going from E4 to F4. Am I doing something wrong? I can belt to about G#4, A4 depending on the day...

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes. You should not shout to get to higher notes. You may use "call voice" but it's just an emphasis, not an actual shout. You'll hear us talk a lot about avoiding oversinging. Shouting to sing is oversinging. That will wear your voice out and cause you to become hoarse. Becoming hoarse as a regular thing is not healthy for the voice.

You'll need to learn to cut back the air and reduce the tone as you go higher.
  • LukmenLukmen Member Posts: 29
    When I'm singing higher should it feel like it resonates in the nose area ?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Sometimes. It depends on the vowel, the consonants you are using. Some of the sound should be coming through the nose. What resonates there is mostly M's, N's, and Ng's. When you hum, your resonance exits through the nose. When you sing, that humming resonance should be blended in with the sound that exits your mouth. It's a blend. As you sing higher, the resonance tends to move higher up in the head.