Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

I would like someone to evaluate my voice please

Hello there,

I’m new to the forum and I hope I am posting this in the right place (not sure how to use the forum so experimenting). I would like my voice to be evaluated so I have uploaded two songs in one file to sound cloud for appraisal. The recording is quite recent (within a few weeks). I tend to sing whilst driving so in this recording I am actually driving whilst singing which is why you can hear background noises.
I’ve sung for a while without tuition and have always had a problem with pitch. I actually quit singing for quite a long time due to that reason and being frustrated but then one day whilst driving I started again and discovered two things. My range had increased a little bit and my pitch perception seemed a bit better. In the first recording I could never have got anywhere near the highest notes in the song. I know that they are ropy but the fact that I can get anywhere near them at all is an improvement to me.

I do not know very much about the technical side of singing but have recently started watching youtube videos which is how I discovered Ken and this forum. He’s seems to know what he is talking about and I’m impressed and I’ll probably buy one of the courses in due course.

Any constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Lots of background noise going on. Your pitch is pretty good. The tone should be brighter but that might not be possible in the "studio" you're in.

The high notes are straining, and lacking technique that will support that kind of singing. "Yesterday" is within your range without the straining.

You should work on getting some technique to rely on so that you have more confidence in what you're doing, and to keep from hurting your voice by singing unsupported.

Your voice is worth investing some time and effort to bring out all of its potential.
  • HormigaHormiga Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    Thank you for your kind feedback.

Concerning your comment about me straining, what do you mean by straining?

Furthermore, if I learn and use the correct support techniques will that make it possible for me to reach those notes and higher without straining?

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Like at 2:15 where you sing a B4, which is a high note. Your voice is straining there to try to sound that note, and the note is breaking up. You don't have the vocal strength or the support required for that note to be sung without breaking up. That requires training in and above that range. Breath support is part of the requirements for notes like that, as well as training on scales that build your stamina and ability to reach the notes and sustain them clearly. There are other factors, such as vowel modifications, paring down the girth of the notes, etc. that culminate in the ability to extend the range.

If you work on stretching your chest voice and build the voice and technique, you should have no problem attaining notes like that. It's not a quick process, but it's doable.
    Sorry for my delayed reply. I have been busy working etc.

Thank you for the feedback so far. That all sounds very promising. I think I will enroll sometime soon.

Is it possible to lower ones range with training?
    Yes, you can lower your range, if you work out on low scales and adjusting your breath support for low notes.
    Thank you for the information. I'm going to buy the pro course. Do you know how much data the download for the Course Plus Pro Packs Plus Weekend Warrior will use? I want to determine whether to download them or to get the DVD/CD versions. Obviously the download will be more immediate.
    I think the download size of the Pro Bundle plus the Weekend Warriors will be around 15 gigs.
    Thank you for your help and the info. I have just bought the Pro course DVD/CD version. I look forward to the course and becoming a more active member on the forum. H
    That's Awesome, @Hormiga! Looking forward to you growing your voice!

Bob