Home The Singer's Lobby

schedualing practice time

xTbsxTbs Pro Posts: 34
Hey Everyone.

So I was at one of the bars I regularly do karaoke at and theyre doing a contest roughly around the start of fall, The host already signed me up before I had a chance to ask (pretty sure because I was in it last year) anyways. I just got over about 3 weeks of having bronchitis and it really hit my progress hard. And since I started working on nights, when I usually practice has gone out the window. Really I am looking at suggestions as to how to jump start everything again and get myself to a point where I can hit the notes I want to and not sound like im dying. I know in the course its recommended to practice 5 times a week, which I am all for but what I am worried about is that It also said practice the same time every day, does this mean the same time I would be performing too? because if thats the case I am a little worried. I already plan on pretty much watching everything from square one and starting from there again but if its in lets say september, is that going to be enough time to bounce back?

I apologize for the mess of a post, but appreciate feedback

thanks

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Well, for starters, practice close to the time that you'd be doing the Karaoke... as many days as you can swing a week. And remember to do your warmups about 20-30 minutes before you take the stage. That way you'll be in as good shape as you can be.
    Oh, and drink craploads of water between each exercise when training... and allot between songs while performing.
  • xTbsxTbs Pro Posts: 34
    thats kind of where my problem is, I work at night and the competitions is at night, and singing in a shop with a ton of dust and fumes isnt exactly ideal.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Yeah, that is not ideal, but is not the end of the world. The above strategy is an optimal solution; you'll still get progress if you train in the early afternoon.
    How many days a week do you work?
    Say you're are a Monday-Friday worker, and your Karaoke night is Saturday...
    Maybe you can do your Sunday training nearer the time that you typically do karaoke... just to let your voice know that this is also a "GoTime"
  • xTbsxTbs Pro Posts: 34
    I do work monday to friday but ill give what you said a shot, thanks for the help!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Just for the record... What Ken is telling us is what is optimal. But sometimes life throws us curves, and we don't get to have "optimal". So then we take what we can get. Just like all of the folks here that have to practice during their commutes, or sitting in a car in a parking lot. They don't get to have "optimal", but they still get a great voice, if they do the best with what they've got to work with.

The voice does like to get into the rhythm of certain times of day, but we can buck that rhythm, if circumstance requires it.

Like people who get up at 6:30 in the morning to go sing at a church service, even though their normal practice time is in the evening. They pull it off.

Or people who can only practice when they drive to and from work. Then they get a Friday Night gig. Their training pulls them through, even though it's not the most optimal time.

Other people have to work swing shift or graveyard shift, but still have gigs or practice to go to. They have to work out their schedules the best that they can, and make it work for them.

What that means to me, is that your warmup time can be quicker if your body is used to singing at that time of day. So if you save ten minutes a day for the rest of your life, that can be a more optimal percentage of practice time. But if you lose ten minutes on gig day, because you have to warm up a little longer, well that's just the way it goes.

So if it's efficient for you to practice at the same time you gig, then cool. If you can't swing that, then you'll still be OK. It's a little like riding with the wind or against the wind on your bicycle. You can go either way, but one way is a little easier than the other. You still ride and get to where you're going.

All the Best!

Bob