Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

LAH Scale Demo

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B62rAacnqlYaMkk3ZTlIRnZCOFUHello Everybody,
I am new to this forum! I am in the volume 2 can anyone give me a review if i am doing it correctly?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Good job. What I would like for you to do is listen to Ken in the video where he shows you "It's the LAH!!! AHH!!!" and compare the tone of his voice to the tone of your voice. Make your voice more bright and timbral like his.

Right now, your voice is very "breathy". That may seem silly, because, after all, we sing on the BREATH. But you can add more cord closure to the voice and get a lot more tone and a lot less breathy sound.

Imitating the tone that Ken gets on that demonstration is the easiest way to find cord closure. If that doesn't work for you, then read up on "the hut".

We want a bright, pingy sound from our voice. That is the sound that will truly grow the voice. It promotes resonance. An airy sound will dry our voice out, and we will run out of air too soon.

So we fix that with good cord closure. We also use good support, and hunker down on our abdominal area as we are bringing in our belly breath.

Does this make sense to you?

Your pitch is pretty good. If you can get some more brightness and ping into your sound, you will have a good start!

Bob
  • NotsotraumAtiqNotsotraumAtiq Pro Posts: 6
    Thank you so much for your valuable feedback!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You're welcome.
  • NotsotraumAtiqNotsotraumAtiq Pro Posts: 6
    I have practiced what you said there are a few issues im struggling one is the voice crack while going up or down the scale. When I try to reduce that my ah vowel becomes a bit breathy I have tried to make my ah vowel as bright as possible. Please do proivde me some feedback if you can.Thank you very much! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B62rAacnqlYaYlV3RkFROHJETEU
  • MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    edited June 2017
    Ken does say in the beginning stages when you are working to get over the break to use a very small "h" to do it. If you are doing that it might sound a little breathy at first. Once you begin to get over the break more easily then take the small "h" out of it.

Ken and Bob keep saying to everyone: it's the LAH-AH... get that right and your voice won't sound breathy anymore unless you are doing it specifically for effect.

I noticed as you are coming down on the scales after reaching the highest note for each scale you are losing support and that in turn is making you lose pitch on a few notes. As you come down on the scale continue to draw your abdominals gently back.

I visualize that I am putting the notes down gently, almost like I am stacking them on top of each other, and trying to keep the sound of them up as far up into that open area of my throat as possible. Don't let your abdomen release until after the last note and then take your breath.

I don't think of coming "down" the scale so much, but rather trying to come in for a gentle landing. Like a bird landing gently.The other thing I also used to do that might also help you; is draw a mountain an "A," or a circle with my finger in the air to make sure I come down the same way I went up.