Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Recording vocals for an album / 4-6 hours of singing a day / 3-4 days a week

Howdy ya'll! I'm in the middle of recording a lengthy 12 track album with my band in my home studio. Its getting to the point where I have to catch up to the instrumentalists and now have to sing more often in order to have the album released in a timely fashion. I had my voice breakdown from over-singing for the past few weeks and it wasn't fun. I sing with a lot of chesty distortion and in the higher register like GnR, A7X, and Steel Panther. However, thanks to a revisit to Vol. 3 training, some bromelain, and glutathione, I was able to get my voice back to normal really quickly.

Based on a routine of 5-6 hours of singing a day / 3-4 days a week for the next 2 months, what would you recommend as a warmup before recording? This week I've been alternating Vol 2. and Vol. 3 and then following it with some distortion singing of cover songs and it seems to be working--- but it takes like an hour and a half to get ready. Any suggestions to keep the warm-up time down or should I keep following that same routine? Also any tips in general for studio singing that don't necessarily apply to live singing? Thanks!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited June 2017
    As information, Ken warms up every day for about 70 minutes. He basically does the Volume 3 exercises plus a few from the stamina workouts in the PRO videos.

But most of us aren't as buff as Ken, vocally. Volume 3 may be a little much for you when needing to not be spent for your recording sessions. Volume 2 is a little more forgiving, and is still a great warmup. I like the first 3 tracks of Volume 3 audio, because it gets you up a little higher on your burbles, tongue exercises, and basic Lah, without really getting too strenuous. But it does let you check out the B4's to see if they're there in chest voice. That's a nice warmup.

Ken says that if you're serious about what you're going to be singing then you need a serious warmup.

That said, you have to judge that based upon your present level of stamina. The fact that you're bouncing back from a setback is a good reason to be very mindful of staying below your threshold of "too much" or "too high". You'll want to do your best while recording, and part of that will be keeping your voice fresh, and free from oversinging volume-wise or straining for notes that aren't going to be there on a given day.

So, since the recording is going to be a lasting record, you don't want to record yourself sounding worn-out or not your best. Therefore you need to manage your volume levels, stay very warmed-up, and very well-hydrated. The longer you can avoid oversinging and overstretching your voice, the longer you will continue to get better takes in the studio. You have to prioritize the preservation of your voice in the best possible manner. So better to underdo the warmups, practices, and even the live shows just a bit to keep your very best happening when the RECORD button is pressed. After you're done with this recording (which in many cases can be six months or longer) you can be free to take a few more liberties with your voice at gigs and rehearsals. For now, just keep the engine warmed-up, but never over-revved! You don't want to throw a piston rod through your engine block in the middle of a recording project. It takes too long to recover and kills your momentum.

If you can do your warmups in a studio-like setting, that may help you get ready to sing well in the studio. In other words, sing into a mixer with a mic and headphones. Get the volumes set right so that you don't have to sing louder to hear yourself. Let the phones and your support do the work.
  • Caw_Im_A_RavenCaw_Im_A_Raven Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 22
    Wow! This is some of the most valuable information I've heard since I went through the course! Thank you so much- this basically answers all of my questions about the strategy of recording! Luckily I have a lot of autonomy and we don't have a set deadline (and we aren't practicing or playing shows until it is complete)-- so what you're saying will work perfectly! Thanks again!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Glad it's helpful. :-)
  • JusticeGemJusticeGem Pro Posts: 92
    Hi Bob,
    how many files are there altogether in the Pro Bundle Pack?
    A lot. It's 8.62 GB