Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

"Gimme the Night"- George Benson. 1st Attempt...I welcome feedback

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You're going to need to hunker-down a little more to get some compression going to get up to those higher notes. You're doing this all just a little too lightly to really get some traction on the notes. Brighten it up.

Not a bad first attempt. Gimme some bite on those notes. Support. :-)

Congratulations on getting out there on our stage! Good job!
  • MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    Good job. I agree with Bob though, you sang it all just a little bit too lightly.
  • rkirsnerrkirsner Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 35
    Bob and Matsy-Your feedback is incredibly helpful. Just so I understand what you mean...would I have benefited from some more forceful "blow" ... more air ...or would I benefit from just smiling more and exposing more of my teeth, so to speak? I think that that is what is meant by brightness and ping...

I'm honored to be be working with another KTVA member, Zach, from the Jax, FL area. He mentioned that I need to sing more strongly, as well. (he sang back-up in a band for years, writes his own songs and music, and plays and teaches a mean guitar. I think I actually do some of the scales better than him. He's only clearly superior when we practice singing actual SONGS. Ha!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It's not so much that you want to "blow" more air. It's that you want to compress the air that you use. That's why I suggested that you "hunker down" a little more. So instead of blowing more, you need to push down on your diaphragm, increase the back pressure to actually reduce the amount of air that is expelled. You'll be holding back the air. It should be at a slightly increased pressure, but at a reduced flow. So the pressure will be held in your gut, not at your vocal cords. Your gut will compress the air, but only let so much be released to your vocal cords.
    Sounds good...more "ab" involvement!
  • I have the opposite problem. I want to wale on everything lol, but you got the pitch, and timing going on, by stronger, I would put more of a speaking voice into it because it sounds like your trying purposely to be quiet as if people are in the room not wanting to be disturbed. Disturb em lol
    Great analogy...I see what you mean. I suppose I can't just wait until I have a good voice,ironically...
  • Just go for it, and don't look back. The force is with you ha ha