Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Feedback on original song

https://soundcloud.com/ovenwolv/fallen

Hi Guys, hoping for some feedback on this original song I recorded on my phone recently. I've sent it to a few people, but had no response so I'm wondering if it is one of those things where people don't want to criticize to be polite. Sorry for the long silence at the beginning. Thanks!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited July 2017
    @ovenwolv,

It could be because of the foreboding theme that you don't get a lot of feedback on the song. Your lyrics "some things you should never know, and if you know, you should never tell" may make people uncomfortable about giving you feedback.

Your vocal tone is good. You go sharp and flat at times. When you're on-pitch it sounds good, when you drift off, it leaves the listener wanting you to get back on track.

The theme of wanting to meet with someone all alone, presumably for some dark purposes, may be appealing to some and not so appealing to others.

Getting a brighter tone in your voice may help you to discern pitch better as you sing. Nice guitar picking, by the way.
  • ovenwolvovenwolv Enrolled Posts: 38
    @highmtn Thank you for the feedback! The lyrics are based on a movie called Fallen with Denzel Washington. The premise is a cop trying to destroy an ancient demon that can transfer from person to person by touch. It seems pitch is still my biggest struggle. Lately, (after this recording), I've felt like I can stay on pitch easier/better by kind of flexing the front muscles of my neck to open my throat more, but I'm not sure if this is good to do since everyone always says to avoid neck tension. I will try to brighten the tone so I can hear the pitch better. Thanks again for your advice.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @ovenwolv

Neck tension to try to stretch the voice higher is counterproductive. But you can stretch a bit to create more open space in the vocal tract. That is productive. Most people who add tension to the neck are doing it with the constrictor muscles, which serve to swallow food, but tensing them when singing is not a good idea. Maintaining an open throat is a good idea.