Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Exercise

StefanStefan Enrolled Posts: 19
edited July 2012 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Does exercise (like jumping rope or sprinting) translates into singing as in can it be beneficial ?
Cheers :) !

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    I find cardio work to be beneficial. I find I can control my breathing better, since I'm not gasping for air from being out of shape.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

I'm a runner.  I run in the hills where it's much more difficult than flatland running.  Good exercise for the diaphragm!  Builds strong bodies 12 ways!

You don't necessarily want to build up a muscle-bound body that can tense up and bind up your diaphragmatic support system, but being fit physically is just plain good for your overall health, and that should be good for your vocal health, as well.

Bob

• StefanStefan Enrolled Posts: 19
    Yes will start doing sprints, been going to the gym for 3 years now and can say that my neck is tense from it, will see what to do about that. Thx for the quick/good response :) !
  • voodoovoodoo Pro Posts: 250
    Most any cardio based exercise that requires the lungs to work hard (cardio/ running/etc.) is good.   I have asked Ken about this before.   A few exercises that Ken pointed out that could be counter-productive are sit-ups and crunches for the reasons that Bob mentioned.   Ken also said that yoga is good (but obviously not for everyone).  Don't forget or under-estimate the puff exercise on Vol 3.  Ken said that he relies on only the puff exercise and his massive amount of (technically sound) singing to maintain his support strength.  I hit the gym about once a week but I'm not trying to build mass.  Along with the puff exercise I play tennis when I can and also run with a twist to stay in shape.