Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Losing what you have gained if you stopped practicing for 1 week or lesser

If I stopped practicing for let's say close to 1 week. Is it normal to lose what you have gained from practicing, like one extra octave or maybe something lesser than an octave?

Comments

• MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    I do notice that I have more difficulty after resting a day or two. I have to force myself to take days off from practice.

When it comes to muscle strength, I have heard it said that you can lose up to 30% of your strength in only 2 weeks of not working the muscles. As the vocal chords rely on muscular work it would definitely be that if you don't practice you would lose a bit of range and smoothness.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I usually find that I have a little bit of extra energy and resiliency in my voice after a little break. After I warm up, I'm better than ever.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Same here... I didn't lose anything even after I had a 2 week no-sing period after having my larynx cracked by a Ju-Jutsu guy.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I don't seem to lose anything if i take several days or more of. It might depend on your level of training too.
  • karinekarine Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 38
    I hope no lost !! I go on holidays for 12 days and don't think I will be able to practise. But still got my scales in iPhone !! Who knows !!!