Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Loss of the top notes in falsetto for singers, say, over 40

My falsetto (hooty disconnected breathy falsetto....like the Stones Emotional Rescue) used to go up to an E5 or F5 when warmed up without straining. Above the age of 40, my top has been limited to around a D5 in falsetto on a really good day (although lately I haven't bothered trying above a C or C#). It also usually requires warming up to sing in hooty/breathy falsetto, but when I was younger it used to not require warming up just to start singing in falsetto. (although maybe getting to the highest notes required warming up)

Just wondering if it is normal to lose the top notes in falsetto when older. I know there are other singers where this hasn't occurred, but is this common?

Thanks.

Jay

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    It's use it or lose it. If you allow it to atrophy, you'll have to work to regain it. Hooty falsetto uses a lot of air, which dries out the vocal cords, so it's not the healthiest vocal mode. You can close your vocal cords together and get a more timbral head voice that uses less air. But if it's the hooty sound you want, it should still be there.

You can blow out your cords by singing too loudly. The falsetto is the first thing you lose if that happens. If you get a little bit of swelling in the cords, it's hard to get the open cords to phonate for falsetto.

So, no. It's not normal to lose falsetto, unless you have been oversinging.