Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Dream On.

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
Here goes, my attempt. Sorry Bob if it's a bit distorted on some parts. I am working on it big time.
Please feel free to critique.

:-)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You did a pretty good job on it. Your breath could use better support. Where your voice is distorting you could hurt yourself. Singing high notes that break up isn't very healthy for your vocal cords. You'll need to train in that range for a while to get more ease up there.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    It sounded pretty good i think, a bit shaky here and there. I also think you could benefit from stronger support.
    You will get better after you get more comfortable in that singing range, stretching chest voice can really help that. I noticed, the more notes i gained in chest voice, the easier the notes underneath it became.

I also get the feeling you can pronounce things slightly differently. The words will still sounds like words, but just with a slightly different vowel. When you go 'sing with me' you can go more 'sEHng wEHth mEH'. Don't overdo it, but 'ih' and even 'ee' sounds can be easier when you come from a different vowel such as the AA vowel which i described as 'EH'. I am only telling you this to experiment with it, it can drastically change your singing. The more you can remain a continuous open throat on lines, the better you will be off. This was just an example to show you that we modify a lot here at KTVA, but it all sounds natural and great actually. A lot of good singers also do this, but you barely notice it unless you have knowledge of it. It's all part of the tool set!

Thanks for posting, it takes guts and i thinks it's always awesome when people post stuff like this!

All the best,

Ben
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2017
    Oh my, thanks for the feedback! @highmtn @bentk :smile:
    There's always room for improvement, I wanted to experiment tackling one of these legendary songs. And yeah, my chest voice has stretched a lot since the first time I came here.

Bob,
    What parts need better support for example? (Gives me a better idea what weaker support sounds like)

Yeah, I try to not get too focused on distortion, just because I heard it's a more advanced technique, I do try to ''experiment'' with it sometimes try to follow Ken's tips. ''Singing high notes that break up'' What does this mean? Sorry for all these questions haha.

Benkt,
    Thank you,
    When I sing a song, I try to sing it in the same style as the original, and try to copy how they sing it. When I modify the vowel into ''Eh'' does that make it create less tension or something? I've heard of the vowel modification a lot, and I try to practice doing it on songs, thanks for telling me. I'll work on all of this.

I might have some Queen tracks coming soon :-)
    Best of luck!

-Diego
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    The higher parts that are weaker are not supported. Especially where you distort. The higher you sing, the more support you need.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    The vowel modifications are discussed extensively in the KTVA program. We basically use the sound of a few vowels, with some exceptions and stylistic choices etc. The foundation of the KTVA program is AH, AA, EE and Oh. Each of these vowels are modified in certain areas of your range, this is different for everybody. For example, when you sing 'Ah' as in Lah-Lah-Lah in a scale, there comes a point when this sound starts to 'pull' at your voice. Just before this pull, we modify to Ah with OH as in 'loft' in the sound. After that starts to pull too much on your voice, you add some 'Uh' to the Lah sound. Now i know these terms might be vague, such as feeling a 'pull' etc. but that is well covered in the program and forum.

So yes, the modifications are for tension release and let you sing higher. It's important to remember that these modifications are not drastic. You don't go from Ah to a pure Oh as in 'loft'. It's like i said, Ah with Oh in the sound. I've said this before on the forum because i think it's important to realise. I use to modify quite drastically, but the more i could relax my voice, the more i realised that the mods can be pretty subtle. In the end it becomes muscle memory and very natural.

Hope this helps you out a little. The KTVA program is amazing when applied well. Incredible foundation for your voice.

All the best,

Ben