Home The Singer's Lobby

Here is my tribute to Linkin Park's NUMB

RawDreeGoRawDreeGo Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
And if any of you are interested in doing colaborations, that'd be amazing, I'm currently working in some... but there's always room for new musical friendships ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GcEA3YWK3A

Let me know what you think

Comments

• That was really good, Great job on the mix also. What do you plan on doing with your knowledge? You seem to be similar to me in the fact that I also play multible instruments, record/mix my own music. Basically have that thirst to do it all.
  • RawDreeGoRawDreeGo Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    @videoace Thanks!! that is awesome and very kind from you. Well I've been working mixing and producing records locally, most of the reason why I'm doing all these covers and colabs is to be able to put my work out there so that people can find it, and also I use all the work I've done in the past to show what I can do for other potential clients.

I've been playing locally as an acoustic act and well I'm looking up for options and things I can do, any advice is well recieved, and thanks for noticing the mix.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Really liked what you did here! Well done, it's not an easy song to sing for sure. Chester could pronounce words really well when singing high, he must have been a lyrical tenor.
    I really like that you record the whole thing yourself, it shows that you are a really complete musician. I always enjoy the musicianship a lot!

Great work man! How is KTVA helping your singing out? did you change much after you used KTVA for a while?

One last question: did you sing the lead vocals in one take? These type of songs can be really difficult to sing. For instance, singing a high toto song can be really demanding for me. My range is there, but it's just tough.

All the best and thanks so much for sharing,

Ben
    @bentk Ben! you are very kind my friend! I honestly thank you for taking the time to watch it, and I'm very happy that you enjoyed it! I also enjoy recording everything, it helpsme improve my skill at the different instruments.

Ok now to the questions, yeah it is a hard song, and I was able to do the whole thing in one take, (except for the bridge section, that one I recorded on it's own), but it required several takes to get right, I like to record the video at the same time I'm doing the audio recording, it is more difficult and can be stresful somtimes, but it has helped me improve my singing.

And I agree Chester's clean and inteligible voice are proof of his unique style. (Although watching him live on videos he sometimes struggled a lot to sing through the whole thing... and I get why it is high pitcherd and almost no stop, so requires a lot of condition)

And about KTVA, I had been singing for many years before, and some people liked my voice, but I always struggled on being consistent, and my style was dependent on volume, since I found some of Ken's videos on YouTube I started aplying some of the tips and suggestions he gives, and starting noticing an improvement, then I went to study BelCanto for a couple months, and that helped me too, then since I like rock music and heavy metal style, thought Ken's method is the best to get that, I checked some other methods and decided to give it a try.

So what HTSBTAE has really done for me, is first motivate me to be disciplined about my vocal practice routine, helped me understand the importance of resonance (the open vowels, and not to rely on pushing air and trying to be loud), I have noticed my voice sound cleaner, and also I have more control, my head voice is finally developing and I'm loving it!

And about the question if my voice changed, I now feel I can get a cleaner tone, and actually use different sounds to my own voice, I don't thing it changed my voice drastically, but it helped me find the right way to do things... and I'm still learning, I know I have several mistakes still.

Oh and TOTO is awesome, and they do rely on several vocalists, at least you can see it in their most recent live versions of africa, rossana and hold the line. So keep it up! My goal is to do some Journey, Bon Jovi and Queen tunes.

So I hope I replied to your questions properly.

And if you wanna try to do a colab let me know I'd love to!
    edited October 2017
    @RawDreeGo

Thanks SO much for answering my questions. I totally understand you did the bridge separately. My compliments man, you have come very far already.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question so in-depth. Great to have you here on the forum.

A colab would be great, i am currently rehearsing a set with a friend of mine and we are seeing where that goes. Having a lot of fun with it for sure, and have pushed my vocals very far already.

I am confident that you can tackle even more difficult material. Numb is already a really hard song because of where the pitch sits in the chorus and bridge. It's pretty much constantly high. I always think that 'Hotel California' is challenging as well, because it's around the first passaggio all the time.

It's also true that you can hear Chester struggle on live performances. However, when he was younger (Live in Texas for instance) he really killed it. But often he seems to grab higher pitch with his screaming too, and that is not clean singing. It's a technique i have no interest in, and i really like your clean version.

Awesome!
    @bentk hehehe I'm so glad to see you enjoyed it that you definitely made my day!

and well I'm also glad you liked my in depth response :)

And well just to clear things out I always loved Chester passion, now after the tragedy that happened to him, we get he was literally pouring his soul out when singing, I deeply respect and love the work he left with the band, mostly on their most popular years. But I wanted to clearify that I'm not talking down on him at any point, hehe.

And we all sung more powerfully when we where younger hahaha :P

And just to wrap it up I'm also happy to be a part of this community, and the invitation is still open to whenever you wanna try a colab!
    @bentk maybe weshould try some Toto song, with various vocalists that'd be super cool!!!
    I think Toto would be very cool here at KTVA. Great musicianship and demanding vocals!
  • MagusMagus Pro Posts: 28
    edited October 2017
    Good job on the whole performance!
    I do enjoy seeing people learning to not just focus on a single instrument or on singing, but rather getting an understanding of how all the instruments work and how they fit together. If I was to critique anything about your singing; In the start of the song, your pronounciations make the vocals fade out a little in comparison to the instruments, unless that's just me :D
    But other than that, very skillfuly done!

Big fan of Chester and Linkin Park myself!
    @Magus well }I really thank you first forwatching it, for taking the time to leave a comment, and well I thank you for the kind words and also for the Critique.

I know I can learn to sing a lot better, I feel I'm improving, so I will try to be careful, I mean I will try to sing it better, and in the mixing part of it, try to make the vocal to be more intelligible.

Thank you sincerely!

And if you'd like to do a colab I'm down!!!!!!
    RawDreeGo said:

And if you'd like to do a colab I'm down!!!!!!

@RawDreeGo
    I'm still pretty new here and I haven't really sung for other people or shown much of what I can do. Little bit of stage fright.

But thanks for the offer, I'll remember that ;)

@Magus cool we could do some chrono trigger hahahaha jk but yeah consider it in the future
    Chrono Trigger is the BOMB though! My fav game for the SNES.
    I also immediately thought about Chrono Trigger @Magus because of your name!

Best game for the SNES for sure
    YESSS CHRONO TRIGGER IS THE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME... I know that is a heavy statement... but for me at least it is!!!
    edited November 2017
    It's definitely the first game that pops into my head if i had to state my favourite RPG!

Brings back my childhood too.

This got a little off-topic...
    bentk said:

It's definitely the first game that pops into my head if i had to state my favourite RPG!

Brings back my childhood too.

This got a little off-topic...

Yeaaah sorry!!
  • @RawDreeGo I know this is very late, but I just wanted to say that I loved this performance. You did a wonderful job. I enjoyed it very much!
    @sophia Thank you very much, well my reply was later haha so no problem thank you for the comment
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @RawDreeGo good job! this is a hard song to sing, so very cool what you did here!
  • Goran123Goran123 Member Posts: 15
    Amazing! Loved it! 😊🎧
  • Goran123Goran123 Member Posts: 15
    Also some feedback:

1. Try to improve the accent.

2. More rasp. People love that. 😀
    @Gaston_Jauregui Gracias Gaston!

Según recuerdo tu eras de México también, en verdad te agradezco mucho tu comentario, y si ahi seguimos practicando para lograr mejor sonido y cantar rolas de esas mas dificilonas.
    If you don't speak spanish I'm sorry hahaaha, I think I remembered you were from Mexico too.

So thanks a lot for the comment, I was doing collabs back at the begining of the year, but haven't been able to do more, but if you wanna try something let me know ;)
    @Goran123

Thank you man!

I appreciate both the compliments and the critique...

About the accent, I always felt very confident on my english accent but I know since I'm not native speaker there are always things that go wrong, if I could ask you any specific parts you can suggest me to check out, is it in the way I'm singing the vowels , please let me know it helps me a lot.

And about the raspyness, I'm still working on that, but will definitely try to get more of that
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    edited October 2018
    @RawDreeGo Your accent is really minor. There are some minor tells, but truly nothing major. Here are the few that I found:

0:024 Emphasis on I'm, get the "m" in there.
    0:025 "... tired of being what you want me ...". It is "u" like flu, not jew. This is not Yo as in Yo hablo. It is tú as in tú hablas.
    1:09 You did the "u" correctly here.
    1:14 I don't know if this accent, but you say "... holding tuh tightly ..." it should again be like tú.
    1:26 "... right in frun of you ..." Once again not sure this is accent, but you need to at least fake the "t" for front.
    1:39 "... caught in the unnertow ..." get the "d" in there. This might be mix problem. The "d" acts as an emphasis on the rhythm.

Ok, I am tired and it was a long practice day for me, so I didn't finish up :(

I do want to say that as an native English speaker who is learning how to speak Spanish, I am very worried that I have my accent correct when the time comes for me to try songs like Despacito and Que Me Duela.

Hope this can help you some :)