Home Off Topic

Song lists?

I'm really curious to see what people here sing, or try to sing when they aren't practicing/exercising their voices.

These are some I am working on.

Blackfoot - Highway song
Velvet Revolver - Fall To Pieces
Chickenfoot - Something Gone Wrong
Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
Florida Georgia Line- Holy
Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying
Cheap Trick - Surrender
Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole
Chicago - Saturday In The Park

Comments

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Cool to see Chickenfoot in your list, i like that particular song too. I saw them live years back. By far not my favourite band, but they had a few very solid songs and i really like Joe Satriani in it. Michael Anthony always does killer backing vocals, he was really good in Van Halen too.

Some songs i like to sing/try in no particular order:

Toto - Stop Loving You
    Eagles - Hotel California
    several Alter Bridge tunes
    Foreigner - That Was Yesterday
    Vandenberg - Burning Heart
    David Bowie - Moonage Daydream (but i model it more after the Winery Dogs version)
    Whitesnake - Sailing Ships

I would post more, but i'll keep my list short for now!

All the best,

Ben
  • I really loved that Vandenburg tune back in the 80s, and the Whitesnake tune is a great singing song. The acoustic version by David Coverdale in Tokyo is my favorite.
    I like a few other Chickenfoot tunes also, but most of the singing is distorted, and I'm not that far in the course yet. That's why I sing that particular song.
    I like David bowie too, but I like his early stuff. Lady stardust is a good singing song.
    Love Foriegner also, but no way I can take on Lou Grahm at this point, but hopefully I will be able to someday.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation
    Queensyche - Jet City Woman -
    Roberta Flack - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Yeah I know, curveball)
    Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
    Foreigner - I wanna Know What Love is
    Badlands - The River
    Alice in Chains - Man in the Box

That is of the top of my head, there are others, but these are what I currently gravitate to learn each the singer's chops.
  • I've been trying wicked sensation also, but cant hit the chorus yet. I'm getting close though.
    I sing some curveballs myself. I like singing to Miranda Lamberts "The house that built me", and Sugarlands "Baby girl"

Peace, Tony
    @videoace, you know that only on the album did he ever sing the higher part "AAeeevvv Gahhhwwwt that wehhh kedddd sen-say-shonnnnn"... live, he always had the backup vocals do that part to save his voice. He'd do a lower harmony part for that. But typically, as lead singers, its all us with very little backup :neutral:
  • @Furious_Phil I saw a live video of it, and he sounded terrible doing the chorus, but I'm gonna get it.

Peace, Tony
    @videoace : you can totally do it... Robert Mason did it effortlessly!
    I can do it as log as I'm warmed up and NOT pushing too much air.
    Its so counter-intuitive... to get way up there and have growl, you have to back off and relax into it :-p
  • @Furious_Phil. I'm still on volume one so I try to stay away from distorting my voice because I don't know how to do it properly yet, and don't want to cause any damage. I mainly sing songs that have clear voices. I do however push those limits constantly from low to high. I'm getting there.

Peace, Tony
    @videoace, you are definitely on the right track then! You need to be able to hit those notes cleanly way before you think about adding safe distortion... but that's way down in volume 3.

There is no rush, as the only one you're in competition with is yourself
  • @Furious_Phil I don't want to rush past anything. I want to make sure I have the techniques down before I start moving on. I see a lot of people move on, but then are instructed to go back because they rushed it. I could probably move to volume two now, but I'm going to stay on one for another month or two.

Peace, Tony
    @videoace

When your confidence grows that you have VOL1 down, you can always just start watching the VOL2 videos. You don't have to start doing VOL2 immediately. It's just a suggestion, but the videos can make things very clear. VOL2 isn't extremely different from 1 in content actually, it adds a little and becomes more challenging. However, not rushing past things is the absolute best approach!

All the best,

Ben
  • @bentk I have watched volume 2 just to see what it was about, but I haven't gone through any of the audio exercises yet.
    I figured that I was getting close to moving on when I'm thinking of other things beside singing when I do my exercises. It's not that I'm bored with doing them, but I've done them so many times that its almost automatic. The second set of exercises (the longer scales) I have to think about once I get around the E-F.

Peace, Tony
    @videoace

Don't want to get too off-topic, but i totally get where you are coming from.
    a tip from me is: focus on technique, tone etc. all the time. Otherwise the exercises might become 'mindless'. The muscle memory you build is what you want, but always monitor. I think it's better to do 45 minutes of focused exercises as opposed to 2 hours of exercising without giving it much thought. I usually aim for at least an hour of exercising.

Now i'm not saying you don't give it any thought, but that has been good advice for me!

All the best,

Ben
  • 4strings2rock4strings2rock Member Posts: 19
    I started out with some grungy-type things...
    "Yard of Blonde Girls" by Jeff Buckley.
    "Make It Wit Chu" by Queens Of The Stone Age.

Currently: "Prayer in C" by Lilly Wood and the Prick .
    Up next, maybe "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles...?
  • stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    Mine are:

Audioslave: Like a Stone
    Guns and Roses: Sweet child of mine
    David Bowie: Life on Mars
    Oasis: Wondewall
    Neil Diamond: Sweet Caroline
    Crash Test Dummies: mmm mmm mmm

@videoace I saw your collab with our Mexican friend ... you were awesome. Great tone!
    @4strings2rock I had a look at your YouTube channel ... guess you’re into dogs? I have a golden lab and fox terrier. A bit off topic, but you may be interested in my video of my lab here in NZ.

https://youtu.be/PMeqWy1BiD4
  • 4strings2rock4strings2rock Member Posts: 19
    stratman said:

@4strings2rock I had a look at your YouTube channel ... guess you’re into dogs? I have a golden lab and fox terrier. A bit off topic, but you may be interested in my video of my lab here in NZ.

Aww...sniffing leaves - that is the life ! :)

(Most of my bass and vocal videos are private)

• MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
    That's a nice doggie. On another note, quite a few of you people seem to gravitate towards rock stuff in your song lists. That's awesome. I have a smooth folky voice, but I'm looking so much forward to being able to kick ass without my voice getting rekt.

I've been singing a lot of "I still haven't found what I'm looking for lately". I find that it's great for practicing because it's such a simple melody, and easy to transpose, and it just sounds really good and it feels good when I sing it.

I am a full time busker, and every December I throw some Christmas songs into my growing repetoire. This year I will be doing Christmas Lights by Coldplay and River by Joni Mitchell as usual, and I finally feel like I can take on Fairytale of New York by The Pogues too. I can reach the high parts by using mixed voice! Yay!
  • Even though I can't sing much yet, I still try every once in a while to sing "Angel of Harlem" by U2. I've always liked the singing style Bono uses.
    Someone mentioned David Bowie, One of my all time favorites. "Lady Stardust" is probably my all time favorite. It's a song about his good friend Marc Bolan.

Peace, Tony
  • stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    @videoace I love Bowie. I got introduced to his music in my teens ... late 70’s early 80’s ... couldn’t get enough of him. I’m holiday at the moment travelling around the Northern most parts of New Zealand ... Bowie was on my playlist in the car today driving between Auckland and Whagerei (2 hr drive). I even got my wife to listen ... haha :):o
    edited November 2017
    David Bowie has a really diverse discography. I haven't listened to it all, not even close. But he made some real classic songs that i love! I also like the instrumental parts in a lot of his songs, they are so much more than just Bowie himself.

Some of these songs are also very cool for an acoustic performance!

@stratman You have a great dog! lovely animal i can see