Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

What should I do with my singing? (Old jazz)

Here are three samples (each about 2 minutes long) of what type of music I play.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-wesley-423240515

Please excuse me if I don't sing very well or if I have a nasally voice.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Your playing is good, but it's drowning out what we need to hear in your voice. The piano is totally dominant. If you want some critique of the voice, then we really need to hear exactly what's going on. Can the mic be moved closer to your face and further (relatively speaking) from the piano?

Thanks!

Bob
  • scotty875scotty875 Pro Posts: 10
    I have a mic, but I wasn't using it in the above demonstrations.

Here's a couple of demonstrations WITH a mic, and I hope you can hear my voice clearly:

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    This is better, but the piano is still obscuring all of the detail from your voice. As an example, I can't understand one word you are singing, and I've listened to hundreds of demos. The mic needs to be nearer to your mouth. Without distorting, but to be clear.

What I can hear, it sounds a bit like you need to add a little bit of cord closure, and try to get more of a bright ping in your voice.

When Ken demonstrates "It's the Lah!!! AH!!!!" that is the sound of good, pinging cord closure.

It might be simpler for you to simply sing along with one of Ken's basic exercises, so we can see how you are implementing his technique.