Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Foo Fighters - Times Like These feedback please :)

Hey guys, never had any feedback on my voice before so here goes, this is my first demo of Foo`s `Times Like These`.

Please excuse the sloppy playing and singing. Trying to think about all the elements of singing while playing is tough - hopefully it will become natural one day.

To me this does not sound great but not sure where I am going wrong. Any tips are very appreciated. Tried recording it a few times but sounds pretty much like this each time.

Cheers!

Danny

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    This isn't bad for no training and just asking how you're doing. Your notes kind of drop in pitch when you hold them. You want to kind of keep your pitch steady, without dropping as you hold a note. You don't know how to keep your singing breath solid and supported. That would come from using diaphragmatic support. That would help you to hold and sustain notes without sounding a little short on breath. There is a nice character to your voice that would be able to come through more consistently if you knew more about the mechanics of singing. That comes with applying the right information and practicing a LOT.
  • RockonDannyRockonDanny 2.0 PRO Posts: 11
    Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your feedback. I am trying diaphragmatic support but it still hasn`t really clicked. Should I be letting my belly come in naturally in a relaxed way as I sing or be pushing against it with tension to feel like there is actual support there?

I`m sure I have seen/heard Ken describe both ideas but they are probably for different reasons unless I`m wrong.

I will keep practising for sure. I enjoy singing, now I want to get good at it! :)

Hopefully, when I know what I am talking about I`ll be able to contribute and help others too. You do a great job from what I have seen.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It's a combination of bringing the belly inward, yet resisting the release of air.
  • RockonDannyRockonDanny 2.0 PRO Posts: 11
    Thanks, Bob, I am focusing more on it, the lip drill exercise in WW is helping me focus on this.