Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Feedback please

Hello,

I just got the course and really have no vocal training. I wanted to try a cover to see what I sounded like. I know they always say that you hate the sound of your own voice and I feel that for sure. So, I am looking for folks to give me feedback on how I sound (with no training), where I can improve and any pointers on how I should approach the course.

Thanks!!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, SixString!

You'll need to bring your vocals up in the mix on future demos. Your voice is buried under the backing track. We need to hear YOU. Congratulations on having the guts to put up a demo when you first got started. You have much to learn. Portions of what you are singing are on pitch, and others are off the mark. On the chorus you are closer. On the verses you are a little bit lost much of the time, pitch-wise.

This is a very hard song to sing, by the way. It's right on the break between head voice and chest voice, and that makes it a little more challenging than a lot of other songs.

You will want to work on getting a really bright ping in your voice. That will be your guiding light to help you stay closer to pitch and help you to tell when you are off.

There is a better pitch program that comes with Volume 1. You will want to do those exercises and start teaching your ears to tell you whether you are on or off pitch at any given moment.

Also, you should follow this link and send verification to get your KTVA forums status upgraded so you can access the students-only areas of the forums.

http://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-student-areas-of-the-forums#latest

All the Best!

Bob
  • SixStringSixString Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for your feedback.

For the volume, I thought it was too low too, but I was probably trying to hide my voice (LOL). Maybe I can post another song with the vocals up in the mix. Note that I used that song was because I know the words well and thought I could sing it from the heart. BTW, I had no idea one song is harder than another...so, it does lead me to a question...what makes one song harder to sing than another?

In regards to my improvement: This is exactly what I needed to get started. I play guitar, but I always thought I was tone deaf because I was never able to really hear the chords. When I am singing, it sounds right, however, I am glad someone else can guide me. I'll take your suggestions on study Volume 1.

Thanks again for your direction.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    What makes one song harder than another can be a lot of different factors, but this particular song, in the original key (C) is sung partially below the primo passaggio and partially above it. That means if you can't sing above your primo passaggio well in chest voice, you will have to go into head voice and it may sound weak, or your voice may crack when you go from one vocal register into another.

You'll learn about that as you progress in the course. (what a passaggio is, how you deal with it, etc.) You work to smooth those breaks out, and make it sound like one smooth voice.

But some songs are voiced all in your lower range and others may sit all in your upper range. Those songs are easier to do. It's when you do a song that goes up and down a lot that you have to be on your toes more to pull it off without having your voice hiccup on you as you adjust from one range of notes to another.

Bob
  • SixStringSixString Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. I feel like I am going to learn a lot from this course.