Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Post Nasal Drip

Hey guys, went to an ENT recently and was told to have Post Nasal Drip and they had a look at my vocal chords and said they were irritated. I do notice that sometimes when I sing in head voice, cord closure doesn't happen so its airy and I have to force more air (Which I try not to do). So my questions are:

1. Can a humidifier help with irritation/inflammation?

2. Any recommendations? Tips? Tricks?

3. Should I first use the humidifier first or go through my warm-ups first?

Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    As long as you have post-nasal drip, you may have irritation. So what did the ENT tell you to do to reduce your post-nasal drip?

Humidifiers are great for helping keep the vocal tract clearer. Using one before singing is often a good idea.
  • angeldanielangeldaniel Pro Posts: 36
    ENT prescribed me a nasal spray. Which I tried and I could feel the mucus just clear from the nose but it doesn't seem like enough to clear the mucus on the cords because it goes down.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    If I have problems with feeling like there is mucus on my vocal cords, I use Oil of Oregano. It might not be right for you. It's peppery, and kind of burns, but feels like it's burning off the mucus. Just a few drops and let it soak in to the back of the throat and down. I had a bottle-dropper of it in the backpack I take to my gigs (full of water bottles) and it leaked out in the pack. Now that backpack smells like a pepperoni pizza. Take a whiff and it will clear your sinuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szi078Nx6h8
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Thanks for the tip @highmtn
    I also get the idea that adding a little apple cider vinegar to your glass of water can help clear the throat of mucus. Although i can't endorse any of this as i have not seen any science behind it. It's just stuff i read when i was looking for tips during a cold. I guess people have tried it. Maybe it's simply the acidity that helps remove the mucus. I haven't investigated it. I guess you could predict some of it when finding out the conditions and observing the chemical structures...

All the best,

Ben
  • angeldanielangeldaniel Pro Posts: 36
    Thanks for the response and I will try Oil of Oregano!