Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Options

Looking to start

I recently developed an interest in singing, not as a passion, but just for fun (like a hobby). The problem is that there are 2 other hobbies that I also spend my time and money on.

I just think it would be really great if I could learn how to sing past g4, and sing those classic rock songs from bands like queen and led zeppelin. I'm wondering how much time and effort would be required to see any progress if I where to buy the course?

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You'll get back out of the course in direct proportion to what time, effort, and focus you put into it. G4 can be a barrier that holds you from getting any higher until you really pay attention to what Ken is telling you to do. Most of what inhibits our voices from being more free is poor habits, and trying to force things. Solid training can help minimize the poor habits, and learning relaxation responses rather than tension to accomplish higher notes is helpful. There is no singing without some tension, but the management of the tension is very important.

We're all different and start at different places vocally. So there is no set amount of time. The course does give you the methods to get to those kinds of destinations more directly and efficiently. I do presume you mean so be able to sing above G4 in chest voice, not head voice (falsetto). Many baritones working Ken's course find themselves singing C5's and better. But I didn't say it was easy. It's work. But worth it for those who really want to learn to wail.

This is the kind of "hobby" that a lot of people can get very passionate about. Singing is about passion, in many cases. Unless we're talking about singing Old Macdonald Had a Farm... :)
  • Options
    Simsuper80Simsuper80 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 35
    > @highmtn said:
    > You'll get back out of the course in direct proportion to what time, effort, and focus you put into it. G4 can be a barrier that holds you from getting any higher until you really pay attention to what Ken is telling you to do. Most of what inhibits our voices from being more free is poor habits, and trying to force things. Solid training can help minimize the poor habits, and learning relaxation responses rather than tension to accomplish higher notes is helpful. There is no singing without some tension, but the management of the tension is very important.
    >
    > We're all different and start at different places vocally. So there is no set amount of time. The course does give you the methods to get to those kinds of destinations more directly and efficiently. I do presume you mean so be able to sing above G4 in chest voice, not head voice (falsetto). Many baritones working Ken's course find themselves singing C5's and better. But I didn't say it was easy. It's work. But worth it for those who really want to learn to wail.
    >
    > This is the kind of "hobby" that a lot of people can get very passionate about. Singing is about passion, in many cases. Unless we're talking about singing Old Macdonald Had a Farm... :)

My dad and I are in the process of moving, so if I bought the course, it would be sometime next year. And singing above g4 in chest is exactly what I mean! If I want to achieve something like that, is there anything I should consider before buying the course?
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Yes. You should consider whether it's worth anything to you to be willing to work to get to a G4 or an A4 or a B4, because it may not be easy for you.
  • Options
    Simsuper80Simsuper80 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 35
    > @highmtn said:
    > Yes. You should consider whether it's worth anything to you to be willing to work to get to a G4 or an A4 or a B4, because it may not be easy for you.

Alright, thanks. I think the biggest issue for me would be finding enough time to learn.