Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Help singing when stage mix is bad

I've found I have a habit of trying to sing too loud when onstage and the mix isn't good. Sometimes in pubs and clubs you can't hear your voice properly and I tend to try and compensate by singing louder - and tiring my voice out. It has happened a few times and I'm wondering if anyone has some tips on helping me break this bad habit? I know a proper mix would help, but with drums and guitar amps & built in PA systems sometimes you have to put up with a poor mix. Many thanks.

Comments

• jamespleasestopjamespleasestop Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 29
    Maybe bring your own wireless IEM?
  • You can do as James has suggested, and invest an a IEM system, or you can do it the old fashioned way my band used to do it.................buy the sound guy a few drinks. Other than that I guess you just have to tough it out.

Peace, Tony
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Or the boys in the band can grow up and learn that volume knobs turn in two directions. Both UP and DOWN.

If you can't hear yourself singing, you will probably blow your voice out. If vocals are important in your band, then they need to be heard. You cannot possibly sing loud enough to overcome amplified instruments and drums that are being played too loud.

Since many musicians are unwilling or too immature to turn their own instruments down in order to make the band as a WHOLE sound better, getting a powerful set of in-ear monitors may be the only way to hear yourself. But don't blow your ears out with them, if your bandmates still insist on being too loud.