Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Can somebody tell me what's wrong?

KarelKarel Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 37
Hi folks,

I am really frustrated. Sometimes I think I can sing, but then on ohter days my voice totally cracks and is worthless.

https://youtu.be/MlzNjy7Xzos

Like today, I can't do anything with my voice: it wants to bridgde much sooner than usual and there is no connection to my head voice. I tried everything: using a lot of support, using not so much support, opening up my throat, singing gently, singing louder you name it. One voice teacher was convinced there was something wrong with my vocal cords so he sent me to an ENT doctor who looked with a camera, but couldn't find anything wrong. But then again: he only made me sign 'lower' notes and that's not when the problem appears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kye37xu-fcM&feature=youtu.be

I am not ill at the moment, I had (more than) 8 hours sleep. I didn't drink a lot of alcohol yesterday, I am in normal physical shape.

This is the most frustrating thing for me: I knów how it should sound, I cán sing sometimes, but on other times I can't sing at all! Like somebody gives you the most beautiful present but the next day he destroys it in front of you!

Please help!

Comments

• rickyogimarickyogima 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 69
    edited January 2018
  • The Moderators here can give you the more intricate details, but first off it's way too much volume. I know because I did the exact same thing in month two. Ease up on your volume as a whole throughout the entire warm up. Especially when you start feeling any strain coming on as you climb.
    Second, If you are using a vocal coach as well as this program it's probably going to cause you problems. (Unless your coach teaches Ken's method of course)

Peace, Tony
  • Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    edited January 2018
    Hi Karel, it's Ken. You are actually singing correctly. Your voice is obviously fatiguing and there can be many reasons for this. (not the least of which is sleep, too much alcohol or smoking). However I doubt it is any of those things for you. But I need to ask you some questions. Do you have any form of LPR or acid reflux? It sounds like the cords are getting stripped of moisture (you can clearly hear this when you are singing). This can also come from over-singing however not usually with quite the breakup you are experiencing. Have you seen a Dr for reflux? I have made a video on this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3TqDOpKULQ&t=2s

And or do you have any mucous issues where gack could be sitting on the cords for long periods of time (like sinus issues?)

Or, do you talk a lot for a living? (this happens with people in education or salespeople as well)
  • KarelKarel Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 37
    Thank you @videoace
    I knów it's too much volume, but that was just becáuse otherwise I couldn't get sound out of my throat. Normally I do it much lighter.

I wísh this was month two for me, but I have been doing this program much longer :(
    This vocal coach was in the past when I did CVT, but now I follow Ken's method.

I think there wás a problem with my vocal cords after all yesterday. Today I noticed I'd catched a cold this weekend.

Then the fact remains that I often have problems with my vocal cords, but the problem is when you go to an ENT doctor (I have been there twice) and both times they didn't see any problems on the vocal cords.

I am SO curious what my vocal cords would look like on those particular moments when the sound is so cracked.
    Has anyone on this forum ever tried inspecting their own vocal cords, using one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xlaryn.TRS0&_nkw=laryngoscope&_sacat=0
    Sorry @videoace I thought I already had posted my answer above. But appantly not! I don't want to look like I am just posting questions and don't care about the answers! So thanks for your suggestions.
    Thanks @Ken Tamplin Your video was really helpful.

I dó have acid reflux problems whole my life. This was the suggestion of this CVT teacher too! But I didn't think that was the problem back then as 1) I take Omeprazol to eliminate the acid 2) the ENT doctor that inspected my vocal cords said they didn't look affected (see video above)
    But then again this might have been on a 'good' day. That's why I asked above if anybody had experience in self inspecting the vocal cords like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgejYnXPxy0

It makes perfect sense to me that on the 'bad' days there ís something going on with the vocal cords. I always have the feeling like I miss the right resonance (or twang) on those days and I have to use so much more strength to get the vocal cords to vibrate. The only thing I don't understand is that this only applies for the notes above A3 (which is where about my voice wants to bridge).

Now about this acid reflux. I knów I have to care about my diet, that's why I am seeing a diet professional and she helped me a lot with getting a better balance.
    She is also against taking Omeprazol (Omeprazol breaks down the protein take creates stomach acids), that's why I already lowered it to 10mg a day (half a capsule), but I'm kind of in the middle of a battle here as the gastrointestinal liver doctor wants me to take them in order to avoid throat cancer in the long run.

Now another thing that might play a role is that my esophagus might not function properly as my mother had the same problem. Her doctor told her she had diaphragmatic hernia which caused acid reflux. I once heard about a surgery that decreases the opening to the stomach but the gastrointestinal liver said thats's quite a heavy surgery and didn't advice it back then.

The only thing is: what should I do about it? A lot of the things you mentioned in the video -like sauerkraut of apple cide- don't seem right for me as only mentioning them almost caused acid reflux with me :)

Would your suggestion be to stop with the Omeprazol for a while and try to find a new stomach balance with even more food adaptions?

And do you think I could be helpful to self-inspect the vocal cords on a 'bad day' so I knów what's going on there when it sounds so raspy?

Thanks again for your suggestions!