Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

singing

Someone said that he knew that Freddie Mercury took piano lessons but not if he ever took any singing lessons. It seems to me that singing is something that you just do whereas playing the piano requires much practice. Someone told me to just sing and learn how to do it by singing. They have never told me just to play the piano (since that wouldn't work). Please explain?!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

ingenting,

While it may be true that many with natural talent go through a musical career without any formal vocal training, those singers may in fact damage their voices, due to improper vocal methods.

Freddie Mercury had a fantastic voice, but he was not formally trained.  He blew his voice out and had to recuperate, and never was quite the same again.  He did have other health problems, but he could have used proper vocal techniques and would have avoided blowing out his voice.

Steve Perry is another vocalist who HAD a fantastic voice, until he blew it out.  He can't sing his own songs anymore like he used to, because he damaged his voice.

Ken Tamplin's method can teach a good singer or one with little or no experience at all, how to belt and wail like a banshee, night after night, year after year, without harming the voice and without going hoarse, if they will follow his teachings to the letter!

So people who don't know what they are talking about can tell you whatever they want to about not needing any training on vocal methods. What will they tell you if you blow your voice out?

I'm just sayin'.

All my best to you!

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    I look at the voice as i would any other instrument.  When i first learned how to play guitar, my teacher told me where to put my fingers for each note or chord.  He didn't tell me to "just play".   After years of practise, I don't have to think about it anymore.  The voice is even more complex because we can't see our instrument. Most people can sing to some degree, but just like any other instrument, you will progress faster and further if you have someone pointing you in the right direction.  Training your voice will help you overcome any obstacles, and prevent any damage that can happen from improper singing technique.