Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Condenser microphone setup

PaulRPaulR Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 74
Hey all, I am hoping someone can help me with this. I bought an Audio-Technica condenser microphone(AT2035). Has anyone any experience with changing the switch settings on the microphone itself (one says "low-cut" and one says "pad"). I was wondering what affect it would cause by changing switch settings if it is beneficial or not. If anyone has any info specifically to this microphone and its switch settings, It would be highly appreciated. Thank You

Comments

• Low cut, that basically filters out some of the low end to keep from hearing rumbling noises, etc......
    Pad, cuts the volume that is being output from the mic itself. In case you're recording loud guitars, drums, etc.....
    Generally you don't use the pad for vocals.

Peace, Tony
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I have acouple of Audio-Technica condensers, but not the 2035's. If you want a nice, fat low-end, then don't cut the lows, leave it flat. If it's too boomy, or popping on the B's and P's, then cut the lows.

Normally you don't want to use a pad, unless your recording is going into distortion. You'll get the best signal-to-noise ratio by running as hot as you can without distortion. If it distorts, normally the preamp you plug the mic into will have an attenuator that will let you turn it down low enough to avoid distortion. If not, then THAT's what the switch is for. If you were going to mic a loud guitar amplifier, that might be a time when you would want to use the pad, to knock the signal WAY down. Otherwise, hotter is usually better, as long as you never overload.
  • PaulRPaulR Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 74