Home Off Topic

Vocal Range

Ilazsadiku96Ilazsadiku96 Member Posts: 2
Hello Ken Tamplin
I've been singing for 7 months now and improved a lot from when i've been from watching your free videos on youtube (because I can't afford yet your course).
I just have one question.
My vocal range is from D2 to F5 but I can reach B5 too (after your lessons). Can I improve it more and why I can't hold a high note longer ?
I hope you understand what I want and thanks a lot for your free tips.

Comments

• stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    I doubt anyone will be able to tell you what your limit will ultimately be but you may soon get to a point where you’ll need to transition to whistle voice. Your question got me into thinking what are the maximums well known singers achieve. I found the following that may be of interest to you

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/20/top-artists-vocal-range_n_5357698.html
  • Ilazsadiku96Ilazsadiku96 Member Posts: 2
    Well thanks a lot sir. I completley agree with that. About my limits I don't know what to say either because I started singing and learning from Ken videos 7 months ago and developed a vocal range by that time. I never hit notes like I do now and I am very satisfied of what I am capable of.
    So if I am not bothering your time I just want to ask you one more thing. When I hit B5 I can't hold for long that note. That should be my limit right ?
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Allot of things can place a limit on your high ceiling, such as vocal damage or even genetics to an extent. With good safe training, most people can repair allot of the damage and push through any reasonable limits. Having said that, can we all become like Rob Halford or Geoff Tate? Nope... but you can become the best version of yourself, as you continue to develop and polish your technique.

So in answer to your question, B5 is probably your current limit, but it may increase over time.

Cheers,

Phillip
  • TorTor Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 4
    edited January 2018
    stratman - Thanks for that link, Very interesting. I like how it finds the ranges by the artists' recordings. No surprise that Mariah Carey has a huge range, but I was expecting Whitney Houston to be up there with her in range.
    @stratman , I didn't realize how bad I sucked till I saw that chart LOL
    Apparently the only people in my F2 - E5 range is frikking Barry White??? :s
    @Furious_Phil I felt the same .... Interesting to see your range is the same as mine. I can extend either end slightly but not confidently to D2-F#5.
    I know what a Rockin E5 slider with vibrato at the end sounds like, and I've never heard Barry White approach that lol.
    By the end of 2018, my goal is to be able to hit A5... not own it, but just hit it cleanly. That'll make my E5 (and above) far more controlled
  • MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
    stratman said:

I doubt anyone will be able to tell you what your limit will ultimately be but you may soon get to a point where you’ll need to transition to whistle voice. Your question got me into thinking what are the maximums well known singers achieve. I found the following that may be of interest to you

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/20/top-artists-vocal-range_n_5357698.html

Thanks for the link. I can't believe Robert Plant hasn't gone above A5 on a record. Either it's a mistake in the article or my whole perception of what octave the notes are in is off by one octave. I think the LAH scale on volume one exercise five goes to B5. Amirite?
  • It's a mistake. I know that he hits a D5 in the song "Since I've Been Loving You".
    I only know this because it's been one of my target songs from the beginning of this course.

Looking further into it I noticed that Plants average high is only a G5, and those would be his trademark screams/wailing

Peace, Tony
  • Has anybody here ever checked their range?
    I can get quite low, but it really isn't "singing" it's more just speaking, or sustaining a slow deep note, anyway I can comfortably go from a C#1 to G4.
    I know I can hit higher notes, and maybe even lower, but not comfortably.

I would be interested to see what others have for vocal ranges.

Peace, Tony
    D2-G5 are the notes that I can produce ... though not pleasant at the extremes.

@videoace are you out an octave? maybe you mean C#2-G5? G4 seems a little low for your highest notes?
  • No, thats what my meter said. Like I mentioned, those are comfortable notes. I can get somewhat higher, and a note or two lower.
    edited February 2018
    I am a F2 - D#5 max... But as @stratman said the upper and lower step aren't all that controllable for inflections or vibrato etc.
    I won't rest till I can cleanly hit A5, which should give me very good control anything a full step below. B)
  • The A5 is also my goal. I really don't need anything higher for what I do. I want to be able to belt in the chest, and mixed registers more than I want to the high notes.
    As long as I am singing though, I'll always be pushing for the next note.
    A5 is plenty high mate!

My vocal heroes who are around and about A5 top range
    (or as recorded anyway):
    - Ray Gillen
    - Paul Rogers
    - Lou Gramm
    - Layne Staley
    - Jeff Scott Soto
    - Ian Thornley
    - Geoff Tate
    - Robert Mason
    - Chris Cornell

@videoace E5 is even pretty high for a guy... I can usually hit it in passing, but that is about it...
    A5 is acually 5 half-steps above that! (5 chromatic notes)

For you to hit E5 that would be 9 half-steps... (14 half steps to hit A5!)
    That's allot of work, but not impossible.
    I am figuring that I am realistically going to gain a full step in head voice (that can be mixed with chest) per year, so in 2 years I should be approaching, or hopefully at A5.
    I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that that once you plateau at your "splat-ceiling", the gains slow down and are more hard-won. However, if I suddenly wake up this summer with a usable 2-step increase, I'll be over the moon! B)
  • I think I should be able to figure out the right pressures, and vocal shaping to get those notes. I know it won't be right away, but I believe it's do-able.

"Only those who dare to dream will achieve the impossible"

Peace, Tony

Definitely! No guts, no glory!
    And we'll never know how close we might have been if we give up B)