Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Copy write issue?

I wrote this song three years ago. Now that I can sing better I want to re-do it, but there may be a copy write issue with Chicago's song Beginnings.
Anyway, give it a listen and see if it may be a problem.
Thank you.

Peace, Tony

https://youtu.be/bJQw9oPBkfw

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I don't think you'll have any issue with the similar sound of the chords. I think you'll be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    That's a relief because the ending is very similar. I could change the end, but I think it would change the feel/dynamics of the song.

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the listen

Peace
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    No man, that's a great progression. There will often be similarities when we write, but that seems totally fine!
    Sweet. Because I really didn't want to can it. For something simple, it really does have a nice flow to it. I just have to write a couple of verses for it, and it's done.

Thanks for the listen Phil. Always appreciated.

Peace
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    There are loads of songs with the same chord progression, or at least partially. It's more about the whole thing. If all the melodies, beats etc. are the same, then there might be an issue some time. There have been some court cases involving plagiarism in the music industry.

It's a nice chord progression, and would like to hear a new version too, as you mentioned you wanted to re-do it because of your improved singing.

Keep up working on your music, you seem to enjoy it a lot. Oh, and thanks for the upload, it's always nice to check out some stuff of fellow KTVA students.

All the best,

Ben
    edited March 2018
    I was mainly worried about the ending because the words and melody are the same as Chicago's, but the consensus seems to be that its ok.

Yes I do enjoy my music. It's everything in my world. There is nothing else.

Thanks for your output Ben. Much appreciated.

Peace, Tony