Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Vocal “classification”

Quick question! I’m kinda new round here but I was wondering,what would you consider a “good tenor” range. At what point do you go from “baritone” to “Tenor”. I don’t know that there’s really a defined range but roughly. I have seen some people say high C, and others have made much lower suggestions. At what point should a tenors chest voice “end” and change to a head-resonating or falsetto register note?

Comments

• Ryan1142Ryan1142 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    I realized I may have accidentally posted this in the wrong forum “singer/somgwriters. But I can’t even figure out how to move it/ delete it so
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    There are some posts about this very subject in the forum. Maybe try the search function (top-right corner) to find what you are looking for.

Generally, don't pay too much attention to classifications. And more so, they are defined by where your passaggi lie. You will find more info about that in posts by @highmtn

Have a look, i am confident you will find what you are looking for.

All the best,

Ben
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Ben is right, as in a year or so you won't fit solidly into any of their range categories. However, at its purest, your vocal fach is denoted by where you primo passagio lies (Where your voice shifts gears out of chest and into head)
    I'm sure Bob has elsewhere elaborated this to a microscopic level! :wink:
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, to put yourself into a precise box requires both the primo and the secondo passaggio notes. But it's just a box. What matters is that you learn to take your voice OUT of the box.