Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Robbie Williams - Make Me Pure

jpyepezimcjpyepezimc Enrolled Posts: 13
Hello all,

Just recorded a small demo of this song and I was hoping you could provide some feedback. I've been working on my support and on not "over-vocalizing" consonants. It's not perfect, but it feels a lot better than last week.

It's just me with my acoustic guitar and a couple of backing vocals I recorded in a hurry.

This is the link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40452442/Make Me Pure.mp3

Thank you so much!

JP

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

JP,

Good job on the technical aspects of your recording.  It's clear, and a good example of a good mix of music and vocals for evaluation.

Congratulations for your effort on working on support and consonant de-emphasis.   I would say that you still need to work on those aspects.  It is most notable on the E4's, which this song contains a lot of .  Those notes seem to lack support, and as a consequence, the E4's are a little pitchy.  In other parts of the song, you hit a higher note, G4, without problems, and later a B-Flat 4, which is much higher, and those notes are supported better. 

E4 may be less supported because it's near your primo passagio?  I would suggest that you sit down and get more comfortable with that note and its nearby neighbors.  Work with your support as you work on the notes.

Regarding the consonants, I think you could still go a long way to slur the notes together more without so much articulation.  Maybe go over the tune just on the AH, then barely enunciate the actual lyrics.  See how lightly you can you can touch on the consonants and still have the lyrics understood. Then go just a little more towards normal enunciation, and you'll be in about the right place.

Try to get the feeling that you are powering this from down low in your abdomen, and out of your throat.

Good work, and good for you to put up a progress report and ask for feedback.  

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Jp,

I agree with Bob.  It wouldn't hurt to add more support.  Keep that throat open, and go for it.  You have a nice bright tone to your voice, just don't be afraid to add some thunder from down under!!
  • Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446

Yes, most definitely more suppo0rt.

We just worked on this last night with our video web cam I hope you received it and are working on it :-)

• jpyepezimcjpyepezimc Enrolled Posts: 13
    Hello Scott, Bob and Ken,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Sorry I have not been able to respond, but I've had major issues with my internet connection.

I am still working on support and de-emphasis. It is not easy, but it takes work, doesn't it? I'll let you know how it goes!

I really appreciate the time you take to check my recordings and to give me all those useful comments. Hope I can come up with some better takes so you can check them out.

Thanks again!

JP
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited September 2012

Thanks, JP!

We're all rooting for you!  Keep up the good work.  This is the best way to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and reboot your voice! 

Record, record, record!  Review, review, review!  Practice, practice, practice!

Post, Post, Post!

Grow, Grow, Grow!!!!!!   Go, Go, GO!!!

:^)

Bob