Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

New here. Plus a question.

Lio127Lio127 STREAMING - THE COURSE Posts: 5
Hey, just recently signed up here. Guess to start off my name is Rogelio but I usually just have people call me Lio as it's easier for most. Sorry if this comes off as some sort of sob story but just felt I have to explain as I guess it's newly part of my motivation. So a reason I recently decided to get serious about learning to sing is because I've always been a very introverted person, but the idea of being able to sing and sing well in front of people has always floated in my mind when I listen to the songs I enjoy. I never thought it could be something you learn, I always thought you either have it or you don't so I never looked into it much I just assumed I just have to face that I can't sing. Second (once again I apologise for the sob story) I recently just got my heart broken by my partner of seven years without much of an explanation, since I have depression I haven't been handling it the best at the moment. Which lately has led to me singing more often because it has been kind of somewhat helping me not think about most things besides trying to sing. So I decided to look into it seriously now and before you know it I found ken tamplin. I haven't bought the course yet but I plan to hopefully soon. I have been learning guitar as well but learning to sing would be a big thing for me since I've never considered myself to have any sort of talent as well and it's something I always wished I could do. Oh anyways my question is, I happen to live in an apartment and my neighbors have overnight shifts and really early morning shifts and I know you have to get pretty loud at times while practicing. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on places I could go to practice? Because I can't think of any off the top of my head. Thanks and look forward to meeting everyone here.

Comments

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Hi Lio!

Sorry to hear about what you are going through at the moment. I hope you will find a lot of comfort in singing and working the KTVA program. You have come to the right place for your voice. You get out of KTVA what you put into it.

Some places have band practice rooms which are sound-proofed. We have some in the city here, but it would be rather expensive to rent those several days a week for yourself. Unless you can find it cheaper, or money is not an issue. I would advise you to come to an agreement with your neighbors. Try and settle for 1-2 hour periods where you can do your exercises. I do advise you to get at least 4 days of practice in per week, preferably more.

Another option is singing in your car somewhere, however i recommend you sing standing straight instead of seated. You can sing really well seated, but it's best to stand.

Try and communicate with your neighbours and find out how much they would actual hear of your singing and exercising. It might not be as bad as you think. I too live in an apartment, but the isolation is surprisingly good here. Even if i hear the neighbours above me, it's not very loud, and it's usually from yelling/loud talking during a party etc.

Remember, people here at the forum are always ready to help you with the program if you need it.

All the best,

Ben
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Probably the most common rehearsal hall that a lot of students have access to twice a day is their car. Although it requires you to be seated, that's not a deal-breaker. And you do have to be paying full attention to the road. If you must sing in the car, you can find an empty parking lot somewhere and practice without disturbing anybody while parked. You do want to give your full attention to the practice, whenever possible, so parking and practicing is much better than trying to drive and practice.
  • Lio127Lio127 STREAMING - THE COURSE Posts: 5
    Lio127 said:

Hey, just recently signed up here. Guess to start off my name is Rogelio but I usually just have people call me Lio as it's easier for most. Sorry if this comes off as some sort of sob story but just felt I have to explain as I guess it's newly part of my motivation. So a reason I recently decided to get serious about learning to sing is because I've always been a very introverted person, but the idea of being able to sing and sing well in front of people has always floated in my mind when I listen to the songs I enjoy. I never thought it could be something you learn, I always thought you either have it or you don't so I never looked into it much I just assumed I just have to face that I can't sing. Second (once again I apologise for the sob story) I recently just got my heart broken by my partner of seven years without much of an explanation, since I have depression I haven't been handling it the best at the moment. Which lately has led to me singing more often because it has been kind of somewhat helping me not think about most things besides trying to sing. So I decided to look into it seriously now and before you know it I found ken tamplin. I haven't bought the course yet but I plan to hopefully soon. I have been learning guitar as well but learning to sing would be a big thing for me since I've never considered myself to have any sort of talent as well and it's something I always wished I could do. Oh anyways my question is, I happen to live in an apartment and my neighbors have overnight shifts and really early morning shifts and I know you have to get pretty loud at times while practicing. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on places I could go to practice? Because I can't think of any off the top of my head. Thanks and look forward to meeting everyone here.

Unfortunately we have pretty thin walls. Can normally hear them watching something that doesn't seem like it's turned up that loud and them themselves. So yeah mainly it's been practicing in my car even though it's not the most ideal. Until i can find a good place, is the stuff taught manageable to memorize kind of easily i guess would be the word? That way I can practice outside of the apartment in the meantime. Thanks for the advice as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    build a little make shift vocal booth out of heavy blankets. Like you did as a kid building a fort in the living room ha ha.
    Just don't smoke in it

Peace, Tony
    highmtn said:

Probably the most common rehearsal hall that a lot of students have access to twice a day is their car. Although it requires you to be seated, that's not a deal-breaker. And you do have to be paying full attention to the road. If you must sing in the car, you can find an empty parking lot somewhere and practice without disturbing anybody while parked. You do want to give your full attention to the practice, whenever possible, so parking and practicing is much better than trying to drive and practice.

Yeah that's what I'm currently thinking I'm going to have to do. I mean I practice a bit when I take a walk but don't usually go as loud as I probably should. It's mainly been in the car. I guess I'll just find some empty lots until I can find a place I can go to stand and practice. Thanks.
    OH forgot to ask, what's the best beginning practice I can work on until I purchase the course? Just want to have at least some sort of proper warm up before I go into it because I know you can risk giving your voice some bad habits if you go about it the wrong way yourself with no guidance.
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    I think if you buy the course - there's an amazing basic warmup there that leads you to some more complicated things. Ken built everything very gradually!
    And I think lips rolls and the tongue exercises are great )
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Just go on YouTube and type Ken Tamplin warmup. You'll get a few exercises that are much like some of the ones in the course.