Home The Singer's Lobby

How to sing with feelings?

People have been saying that when I sing I sound monotone, no feelings etc.

Any tips on singing with more feelings or.. how should I emphasize on certain words/key words?

I'm quite an emotional person person but when I sing I just don't know how to put feelings into it. I sing mainly Ballads, Pops and rarely rock.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Are you using good vibrato yet? A lot of people seem to equate "feeling it" with vibrato vs steady note singing. There is natural modulation happening that some people interpret as "really singing with feeling". Vibrato can help you to "loosen up" and get into the song/sound. Without vibrato, you may be singing in a more "stiff" manner that can seem less emotional or "monotonous."

Part of singing with emotion is increasing and decreasing the volume levels, also, from very soft to very loud.

You will notice that most vocalists tend to sing with their eyes closed. That's so they can be more in touch with their imagination and also to feel more free to be and express emotions of the song while performing in public. But you can also capture "emotion" on recordings, through expressiveness in your voice.
  • XHellChrisXHellChris Pro Posts: 98
    I haven't started volume 2 so I've no idea how to use vibrato yet. Maybe vibrato will help me with this issue, do you recommend that I hop on to volume 2 now although I'm still stretching my chest voice for a solid G4?

I tried using crescendo and decrescendo too but it doesn't help much.. maybe I'm applying it the wrong way? I will upload a short clip of my singing ASAP when I'm free.

Is it a natural instinct to sing with your eyes closed when you are into your song? Because it sometimes happens to me. Most vocalists also sing with hand movements and weird actions , does it also happen naturally without thinking?

Thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    When you want to sing with feeling, you have to know the song really well for one, and then ask yourself what it is about the song that you like, and how did it make you feel when you listened to it? Also, how do you want other people to feel when they hear YOU sing it?
    It's also about not being afraid to show feelings in front of others. Some people think it's a sign of weakness.
    You have to let go, and just put it all out there.

Peace, Tony
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    For me it has simply helped getting better at everything around singing. Range, support, vowel mods, areas of resonance, vibrato etc. When you get really good with all these aspects, your 'toolbox' expands. It becomes easier to ad nuances to your singing because of this. Singing will become easier and easier (never effortless!!) simply because you will master it more and more. Things will start to go more into 'auto-pilot'

I didn't like my singing at first. I don't even really like the things i posted on the forum. But since then i have grown again, and finally i can start doing what i really want and even appreciate it myself. I am my own worst critic.

My advice is to not worry about it, and keep on doing KTVA. Time is your friend, try and enjoy your journey.
    Recording yourself is good, but it will differ with every person. I don't make frequent recordings, as i don't grow from day to day. More like month to month. I sporadically make a recording, and usually of difficult songs to see how i am doing. So i do encourage you to record now and then, and even post some things to the forum if you want feedback (exercises are the most fruitful).

All the best,

Ben
  • XHellChrisXHellChris Pro Posts: 98
    Thanks for all your replies! I greatly appreciate it :)
    Here is a short demo of me singing a thousand years by Christina Perri
    https://vocaroo.com/i/s1606i4tEBk0

I recorded it with my mobile device so the quality may not be as good. What do you guys think about it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    Without music, There is no way to tell if you are singing correctly or not.

Peace