Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

New student having problems with phlegm/mucus. Please help! Link to video demonstration in the post.

WincklerMusicWincklerMusic STREAMING INTERMEDIATE Posts: 13
Hello my name is Rasmus.

I began with ktva around the 22. of February. Before that, I had been singing on and off for years and I never had any problems with phlegm or mucus. Anyway, I started practicing a lot and sang a lot, probably all too much. After a couple of days, I had a lot of phlegm/mucus in my throat. I then did a break and it got a bit better. Then I watched Ken's videos again and again because I thought I was doing something wrong which I still think. I began again slowly only 15 minutes a day and now the phlegm/mucus has come back. It seems to be because of the voice training.

Here is a video demonstration of me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuE7Wg8vaqE

Please help.

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    There is quite a wealth of information in this forum on that subject. Rather than trying to spout it off by rote, try the search function using either "phlegm" or "mucous" as a search parameter. ;)
  • WincklerMusicWincklerMusic STREAMING INTERMEDIATE Posts: 13
    But I could still use some feedback on the video I posted
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You're doing the scales a little bit loud. We need to be able to hear the playback to compare it to your pitch.
    Your scales aren't causing mucus. Mucus is caused by your diet, illness, or by allergens. I don't know where you live, but it's spring time here, and everybody is taking allergy medication.

You were sniffing before you started singing. If you have post-nasal drip, that will get on your vocal cords.

A couple of your high notes were a little bit flat. Otherwise, pretty good.
    Okay, so I'm actually doing this properly? You don't notice any strain, tension or anything?

I have dust mite allergy and asthma. It's just that I was never bored with mucus before starting this course.

It's spring time here as well, what does that do?

Yes some of my high notes are a bit flat because otherwise I would strain a bit I think.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Springtime is where everyone where I live starts sneezing and sniffing and taking allergy medication because of mucus and irritations. All of the pollen in the air can give you fits. Dust can do the same. Later on, when plants start going to seed, that will bring on another wave of irritants.

Like I said, you are doing the exercises with a little more volume than is best, but that will be more likely to make you hoarse, rather than create mucus.

You can certainly irritate your throat by oversinging, and you could have mucus from other causes, which will be even more of a problem if your cords are swollen or irritated from loud volume. It's harder to clear the mucus off your cords if they swell.

As your diaphragmatic support improves, you will be able to reach those higher notes with less effort, and without straining, but that can take a little while.
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    I like how your voice sounds!
    When you go high try to not be this loud - it's harder to get the top note right.
    On the mucus - it can be that you've got it for some time already. But your body
    is used to it, and you don't notice, and when you start signing - it's the right
    and deep breath, doing exercise with your throat and the mucus is starting going out,
    clearing the throat. I had something like this. I think it's good. It can be a clearing process. At least in my case I felt it was my old mucus going out.
    Eating healthier helps to clear it out more.
    edited April 2018
    Hi again. First of all, thanks for the answers!

Since last time: I noticed that the mucus came from "behind my nose" so I probably had a bit of what you call post-nasal drip. Anyway, I have been taking care of that.

I have also been adjusting my volume. I have been practicing for more than a week and I feel really good in my throat. I don't have any mucus so I think it's very likely that I have been singing too loud and thereby irritating my vocal cords so they got swollen.

If you could listen to these audio files and comment if I'm still singing too loud it would be great. I think I still sing a bit too loud...

EDIT: Somethings wrong with the links. Type https:// infront of

soundcloud.com/rasmuswnckler/voice-practice/s-3lxwg
    and
    soundcloud.com/rasmuswnckler/voice-practice-1/s-61gzI

Then you should find it :)

I'm thinking on progressing to the main audio files next Monday. Or do you maybe think I could begin on those already from tomorrow?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    Go ahead and jump in to the main audio exercises. It sounds like your ready to for them.

You want to really pay attention to what's going on with each different volume you venture into. Each has it's own purpose for the most effective, and efficient way to progress.

One more tip: When you submit scales for evaluation in these upcoming volumes, submit a "LAH"
    scale. Well, actually two LAH scales. Submit one demonstrating "chest stretching", and one demonstrating "bridging".

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

Peace, Tony
    Great, thanks Tony. I will submit the LAH scales from now on!

-Rasmus