Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

New to KTVA

sarahreagansarahreagan STREAMING - THE COURSE Posts: 11
Hi everyone!

My name's Sarah, and I have had a passion for music since elementary school. I've always been drawn to music and I started singing when I was a child. I used to sing in front of my family all of the time, and I was preforming songs I was writing for them when I was in 3rd grade. My biggest musical inspiration as a young girl was Avril Lavigne, and I remember trying so hard to try and sing like her. Now, I still love her, along with Hayley Williams and other strong female vocalists. Eventually, I think one of my brothers made a comment that shot down my confidence, and I stopped singing in front of others. I still feel like I am most content sitting in my room with my guitar and singing, but I want to build a stronger voice that fits with the genre I am most drawn to (rock music).

I have this problem where I'm so shy I can get too afraid to try new things with my voice even when I'm alone, and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? I have been able to figure out how to sing in my mixed voice but I feel like when I'm singing I can't get loud enough or there's not enough power to my voice which is what I want. My chest voice is also very weak. I would say I have a softer voice and I'd really like to change that.

This looks like a good place to talk to other people with a passion for singing, and I'd love to talk with you guys to hear what works for you and have a supportive place to grow.

Thank you for reading!

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Sarah, I think we all go through that at some point.
    What I suggest is that you go through the free video on YouTube just to get a taste of what is possible.
    If after that you still want to pursue developing your voice to its maximum potential (in a safe manner), then you'll probably want to do the actual course, as it is a sequenced/methodical approach to get you from rank beginner up to pro level.
  • sarahreagansarahreagan STREAMING - THE COURSE Posts: 11
    Thank you for your response :) I actually just started streaming volume 1 of the course. I'm already noticing a difference, I just have a hard time applying what I'm learning to songs I enjoy. Hopefully that gets easier.
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    Hiya Sarah,

Welcome on board! Siblings, much as we love them, are arseholes at times and usually don't even mean the hurtful stuff they say. Have you spoken to him about it? It's maybe worth just clearing the air with him as I suspect he'll probably tell you he was just being mean.

When it comes to being too shy, even when you're alone, I can relate. I don't tend to sound very shy when I'm singing or performing, but when I'm alone and doing the exercises during practice I can still get really self-conscious. One thing I've found helpful is to remind myself one this: Nobody. Actually. Cares. We're usually our own worst enemies and, in my experience, create a lot of these performance anxieties ourselves when what we really need to learn to do is to relax into it. I can sing more easily in front of a crowd of strangers than I could in front of my parents, so you're not alone in your insecurities.

As for your chest voice, I think a lot of women learn to neglect that part in favour of their higher range. It's a matter of growing your chest voice gradually, connecting it to your head voice and developing a really consistent tone up and down your range. It takes time but KTVA is undoubtedly the way to go about it, especially if you're looking to sing more rock and metal stuff.
  • Hi Sarah!

I thought my voice was too soft for rock, but it's not softness, it's a lack of proper breath support and cord closure that makes it seem that way. The exercises that have us getting the "ping" in our voice have changed everything. Your voice will have strength and clarity when you want it (and softness when you want that), if you follow the lessons and let the muscles develop properly in time.

I haven't looked ahead in the course (I'm on Volume 1) but I remember when downloading them that applying what you're learning to songs is covered a bit later. We have to get the fundamentals down first, though, before applying them.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Volume 1 is like training the legs for running.
    Volume 2 is like learning to launch off of those weird block things..
    Volume 3 is learning to run heel-to-buttcheek...
    The material after that its all about fine tuning what you've developed as a foundation B)
    Trust in the course and really focus on what is being laid out, not just the notes, but how they are being inflected... also really pay attention to your diaphragmatic support, as it is truly the cornerstone upon which you will build.

"Its not the kill, its the thrill of the chase!" ~ Deep Purple

Cheers,

Phillip
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2018
    Welcome to the family Sarah!
    First of all, do not let your confidence go away because your brother told you something negative (Siblings are like that anyways, most of them). It happens to everyone, and every artist has to go through things like that.

What you do is, you practice, and practice. And then when you start seeing a lot of progress you own it.
    There will always be negative comments, no matter how good you are and some people might be really really harsh, but remember, there is always room for improvement, it's just a matter of your dedication.

Have you seen some of Ken's students sing? They are phenomenal!
    Do the course and your voice will skyrocket in ways you never imagined. Even Ken's free videos help you a ton.

Also, it's not bad to try and imitate a singer (believe me I've done so), but I would also say add some of your touch to it, unless, you want to be an impressionist.

Uh-oh @TommyM I think I'm starting to type a lot as well. Haha lol joking.
    @TommyM ,

I have not spoken to my brother about this, but I think I might, it could help. At this point I'm used to it, growing up with brothers. I know I need to find a way to grow thicker skin, if I want to be a singer.

I am really going to work on my shyness, hopefully as I make improvements I will be more confident.

I went for Ken because I could tell he would teach about singing in rock music and powerful singing which I love. I hope this will get me where I want to be!

Thank you for your response! :)

Sarah
    @Sophia,

I think you're exactly right, as when I sing I can feel how tight my throat is, which makes it sound really sharp and quiet to me.

I am also on Volume 1, and I'm glad you said that because I find that I'm pretty impatient lol and I guess I really have to work on my foundation first before I can get to where I want to be.

Thanks!

Sarah
    Thank you @Furious_Phil!

I love the way you describe the course, gives me hope. :) This is all so new to me, and I want to be able to trust in this course. I've never taken singing lessons before and I just really want to improve.
    @Diego,

Thank you!

I will try and ignore any negative comments, because you're right - there's always room for improvement. How often would you recommend I practice? And should I alternate different exercises everyday? I'm currently on Volume 1 and I'm trying to figure out how to get the most out of this.

I have heard his students, I loved how strong their voices were! I also loved how they could sing in seemingly any genre.

And you're also right, I want to find my own sound. :)

Sarah
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2018
    Well, typically I would say like 1 hour or more, to get the best effect.
    I practice about like 3 hours, but that's because I don't tire out quickly anymore. Just follow the course, there should be plenty of exercises for you to practice, I would say try to get a hold of one exercise first, perfect it, THEN move to the next, so it'll be a breeze later on.

I wouldn't say Ignore the comments that are negative, but only the ones that don't help you at all. The constructive criticisms are the ones you never want to ignore, those will help you grow a LOT.

Glad to have you with us!
    All the best,

-Diego
  • ASHDREAMASHDREAM 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    I think you should believe in your self and your singing. This happens many times with most of the people's lives or the artists that people don't take seriously to them or try to give bad comment or troll but always remember that your passion for singing will be the thing that makes you happy and is the only thing God given to you, So forget about the people try ken methods that will surely improve your overall voice. I'm sure that you're a good singer. I think with some spare time practice every day you will be the awesome singer. And one day who's not like your singing will eventually love to listen to your music again and again and request you to sing. Well, I also like Avril Lavigne. She's good. And you can be the next one like her.
    Best of Luck
    @ASHDREAM thank you so much! I am committing myself to practicing everyday so lets hope it works. :)
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Welcome Sarah!

With patience, dedication and all the KTVA material, you can get there. These things just don't go as fast as we all want it to. All the worthwhile skills don't come easy, the same goes for singing.

If you run into any obstacles, questions or whatever, the forum is always here to help. It sure did help me, and it still does.

Make sure to take your time with the material. Ken talks about working up your exercise time in a recent video on youtube, i can recommend you watch that.

All the best,

Ben