Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Linkin Park Numb

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157

Here's a track by Linkin Park, for some reason my high notes kept "clipping" on some parts. No matter what I did, or how far I got from the mic.
Be sure to give me feedback both vocally and recording wise.
Thank you :-)
@highmtn @bentk @videoace @TommyM @Ken Tamplin @Furious_Phil @SaraLoera

Comments

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Very tough song to sing, so you get instant respect from me for taking this on, lol.
    My general impression: Not the best you've done, but you did pretty well, seeing how tough the song is. I also like how you sing all the parts, that's very cool.

It sounds like you are pushing too hard for the higher notes, and the distortion sounds forced as well. I think you are singing too loud to get the higher parts. Singing can get pretty loud, but not TOO loud. It sounds like you are pushing in the throat with a little too much volume, instead of pushing down with support and letting the vowels resonate. This isn't much of advice, but you really have to keep an eye (or should i say an ear?) on this. Go check out the PRO VIDEOS with Adam (dudes) and go along with the scales, listen to everything Ken says. You will find valuable advice there, about reyawning and shaping the vocal tract. I really liked a post by Gaston here recently, where he tells you to respect the space you make with the vowels. I thought that was a great saying. Trying to keep that space is very important to reduce stress and resonant more 'beautifully'.

How does it feel when you sing the chorus and other high parts like this?

You are using your vowels better than previous recordings i heard from you, so that's good.

Are you currently working on distortion within the program? If not, then i would advise you to not distort at all.

One other thing, can you sing the main vocals of the whole song in one go? I am curious for several reasons including your vocal technique right now.

Don't take any of this the wrong way, i really like it when people post their covers and original material. It takes a lot of guts. So thank you!

All the best,

Ben
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Yes, when I do the high notes clean, it's a lot easier and sounds more effortless. But when I use distortion is when It sounds like I'm pushing hard which I only used for a Chester-effect. I'm don't really know much about distortion, I know I must not abuse it. But I HAD to do it for this one, because It just came out "naturally" I can't think of this song without distortion haha. I tried singing the high parts clean as well with less volume, and still can't seem to stop clipping.

I actually haven't bought the program. But I do watch Kens free videos for like over a year now. I should be getting the course like early June.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Very cool piece... it may have been your mic or your gain up too high that caused the clipping possibly?
    I think the way you did the chorus distortion sounded similar as to what Chester did, whether he did it in a healthy way remains to be seen :wink:
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I would refrain from any pushing in the throat, it will only work against you. Chester's voice also became less and less over the years when singing live. He could still hit the notes and all, but his voice just wasn't the same anymore.

Maybe change the 'gain' for your mic to reduce clipping? Make sure you are not reaching the high notes WITH volume. High chest belting is not soft, but you should not reach for notes with volume itself. Only use the volume that is necessary to produce the note. This is taught at KTVA too.

Very cool that you decided to get the course, enjoy it!

All the best,

Ben
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Agreed @bentk !

Some mics have a "padding" to reduce some of the bass and help prevent clipping
    I agree @bentk I have to learn and do it safely, because I don't want to deteriorate my voice too early.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Haha don't worry @blondiewales I love when people write long answers all the time!
    Thanks for the advice! Still learning on doing vowel modifications.
    Thanks for taking the time to listen as well!

All the best,
    -Diego
    @Gaston_Jauregui
    Yes, I am Latin.
    Indeed these do help a lot!
    I sang the lines through like these, and I feel it's so much more open. But the thing is, If I apply these modifications, do I gradually start moving consonants in as I go along practicing them with the modifications?
    It's just for the purpose of diction.

Anyways thanks for the AWESOME feedback sir!

All the best,
    -Diego
    https://vocaroo.com/i/s0eVPDm4LXYk
    This is only a test, I still have to do the rest of the song. I want to see what you think of it so far, and what I should change. I tried some of the mods @Gaston_Jauregui gave me on some parts.
    Still have to add some background vocals as well. So it's incomplete right now.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited June 2018
    I think it sounds pretty good man! I have to hear it with speakers but i think sounds really good!