Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer - Feedback Welcomed

This was recently recorded 18 months into the KTVA program. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this song would be possible. Please let me know if you detect any weaknesses/areas to improve on. Thanks, Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3xtmkrchw

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    Man you sound really good!
    the only thing I would say , and this is a very personal view, is that since you are going through the "Wooooo..." (which is the way the song goes, but is entering through a small vowel) on the chorus you can easily get to the mix which is great, in case you want to make a bigger and chestier sound in the chorus I would go for Aye or Ah and modify to the Oh like "AOOOOOO Oeare half oaye there"

I would try it just for fun, but you sound great man!
  • scottredwingprojectscottredwingproject Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 19
    Thanks for positive feedback and the great tip, @Gaston_Jauregui ! I tried the vowel modification and it worked so much better. Thanks again and keep up the good work!
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited June 2018
    Im glad man! This is something i personally do, doesnt work on every parto of every song but you could try sweet child o mine in the chorus and avoid the wowowow sweet child o mine and try instead aoooaoao sweet child, sounds bigger, in the end of the song is harder though but experiment with it where you can do it! Its important always to negotiate this though
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, sounds awesome, @scottredwingproject !

Your voice is a little buried in the mix. I found myself having a hard time hearing some of the details because the instruments are stronger than the lead vocal.

Nice work!
    Thanks again @Gaston_Jauregui for another great tip. We do, indeed, play Sweet Child of Mine live, and that is an essential modification (especially when performing it 90 minutes into a three hour set). Your comments are always very valuable and appreciated.
    Thank you Bob (@highmtn) for all you do as well. Your wisdom and commitment continues to make this forum an informative and inspiring place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    @scottredwingproject Sounded good. My only advice would be to add just a touch more compression to your voice to give more power to the sound. Other than that it sounded good.

Nice work.

Peace, Tony
    Hi @videoace (Tony)! Will do. Thank you very much for the tip.
    Best,
    Scott
  • csharpcsharp 2.0 PRO Posts: 25
    hey man, as by me that sounds more than good! amazing i'd say. I'm a beginner :D

do you have so strong head voice or you did everything in chest???? that's confusing
    Thanks @csharp and welcome to KTVA! This point is indeed confusing.

My best (and admittedly naive) answer is that during the choruses, I am mostly in my mixed/belting range (but right at the top of it). I switch up to head voice on the "woah-oh's" on the final round of choruses. Remember, when I started 18 months ago, I couldn't reach the high "woah-ohs" regardless of what voice I was using. I just followed the exercises consistently and it grew that way.

To give you an idea of what my head voice/falsetto sounds like, take a listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfh5HiwURlI

PS - Growing strength in the head voice is still a work in progress.

Good luck on your new journey! Please let me know if you have any other questions.