Home The Singer's Lobby

Song suggestion for beginners

LukmenLukmen Member Posts: 29
Hey guys,

I thought it would be a nice idea for everyone to give beginner song suggestions :) so please leave em here :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I like 99 bottles of beer on the wall.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    On a more sober, er, somber note, a lot of people start out on "Take it Easy" by the Eagles, or "Drive" by the Cars.
  • kennethkenneth Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    There is a song book called Songs and Creations. It has about a thousand songs that are of all types. Religious, Eric Clapton, old timey songs, Negro-Spirituals, Beatles, and on and on.

The chordings are presented on keys that most people can sing as it is a sing-along book. Also, there are a couple formats. One is lyrichord, (words with guitar chords) and one that has musical notations to learn the song if you don't know it already.

My wife and I are using it because it is really fun to sing songs without having to stress our voices trying to be 'awesome' (we are beginners so being awesome at this point is kind of silly) and the songs themselves are a lot of fun.

Here is the site. songsandcreations.com
    Hope this helps.
  • olskoololskool Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 68
    At my gigs i usually start with Call Me The Breeze by John Mayer.
    It's an easy song to learn too.
    But yeah, you really just have to hit the oldies. Not literally mind.
  • Blue on Black - Kenny Wayne Sheppard is a pretty easy tune also.

Peace, Tony
  • ALEXDEITEMEYERALEXDEITEMEYER Member Posts: 68
    "Metropolis Part 1: The miracle and the sleeper" by Dream Theater.

Im joking on that one, but seriously "Good, Good Father" by Christ Tomlin is a smooth and easy song to learn.
  • cjfoxcjfox Member, 2.0 INTERMEDIATE Posts: 19
    I don't have specific songs to suggest, but here are my thoughts:

1. Choose older songs covered by many artists. You will not be as tempted to "copy" the singer who sang "that song". The sooner you start developing your own voice the better.
    2. Choose songs that were written by people that were not known as a great singer, but many people have recorded their songs. The above example of "Call Me The Breeze" is a JJ Cale song done by many others. Other writers who are prolific and everyone covers are Bob Dylan and John Prine, but those are just examples.
    3. Choose songs that have an easy melody with a smaller range. Think Rolling Stones, not Queen. Songs based on a pentatonic scale are easiest to sing. ( a lot of folk and spiritual songs are pentatonic.)
    4. If you're really set on a song that's too high for you, lower the key.

Hope that helps some.