Home Off Topic

How to Whistle note.

AltariqAltariq Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
How does a person go into whistle registration? Is there a different coordination they use? Is it safe?

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Whistle voice is more of a parlor trick than a usable part of the singing voice. You can't very easily connect whistle register to the upper head voice without a break in the voice.
  • AltariqAltariq Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
    How do you access it though?
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I certainly can't, as it lies beyond the head voice, and it's not actually part of the KTVA curriculum just like the David Lee Roth banshee scream.
    Basically, you have to develop your chest, your head voice, and your mixed voice before you you'll have a stable enough foundation to touch that register. Unless you are one the people that accidentally stumble on it.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    I can sort of doing. As Furious Phil said, I accidentally stumbled upon it. It's certainly not safe for the voice at all. You can see what that did to Mariah Carey's voice.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    Hi, I happen to know how to get in to whistle registration, but this is something I learned by playing around with my voice, "singing guitar solos in falsetto" I remember singing or making sounds, on the second november rain guitar solo (there are 3 gtr solos) obviously NOT pushing, it suddenly happened,I didn´t even know how to sing at the time, it was more like playing around, it certainly doesn´t hurt or anything like that, but you can blow your voice really easy if you don´t do it with care, beacuse the space is so small, and it literally came from falsetto, this meaning not a connected sound like mix, im not even sure if that can be done, coming from a mixed voice, however I don´t play around too much with it, just because I like so much the song crazy by Aerosmith, I think is fun, other than that, im not really trying to do Mariah carey or Ariana Grande songs, doing licks and stuff haha
    I personally think I already have enough work to do building strength on the KTVA program and wanting to do other songs that are not in that register, which I haven´t really nailed because you have to negotiate the breath, the phrasing and the vowel modifications, the thing to me, is that in whistle you are not saying words because the space again, is so small, you are just making sounds which is cool, but if you wanna sing something like "she´s gone" that´s something I personally still have to work on...
    you see I don´t believe that the most important thing is just to get really high, but to sustain the note, and be capable of saying (singing phrases) things there and not choking that´s when i know I earned the note, not just reaching :)

hope I was helpful