Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

A problem after flu

I got flu two days ago. I noticed that I lost my mixed voice. At first I thought that it was because of my flu. But now that the flu is gone, my mixed voice is STILL GONE. I am worrying because the auditions are in 3 days. How can I get my voice back? Also, I don’t/didn’t have cough/colds while I had the flu.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    @Schubert Dehydration is a common problem during, and after the flu. Make sure you are well hydrated.

Peace, Tony
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Some illnesses and viruses do that. Your other symptoms go away, but the virus sort of "settles in" on your vocal cords. I have had a few of these (that were going around, affecting everyone I knew) where for MONTHS after otherwise being well, my voice did not recover. Right at the passaggio, or mix area is where you have the most troubles.

The best thing you can do is keep your vocals really light through this area, and kind of "nurse it back to health". It will be very fragile for a while. Don't rush it. Give it time. Be patient.
  • SchubertSchubert Member Posts: 12
    Thank you guys. One thing I noticed is that sometimes I can use my mixed voice, then I thought that it came back. But no... few minutes later it won’t work again lol. I keep drinking lots of water but my cords still feel dry.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @Schubert yep thats the feeling, do the workout light and as soon as you feel you can, make it a little chestier , then, it will feel easier to come back to mix voice next day
  • SchubertSchubert Member Posts: 12
    I can’t even do the workout haha. ‘Cause it doesn’t even show up and work. For 2 months I’ve been happy cause I finally got my mixed voice, only for flu to take it away... sheesh