Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

My try on stretching G4.

Here I go from C#4 to G4. I tried to do it all: bright sound, vowel modification, breath support...but I still feel that I'm doing something wrong. Anyone can show me the way, please?

Comments

• As a student,All I can tell you is that you are singing too loud, and that is not a good thing.
    Also you are using too much air which is a killer.

I'm just a student so I can't "show you the way", but if you want to be a serious singer, or just be the best singer in your circle, invest in your voice.

It's like building a house. If you had a stack of lumber but no knowledge of how to build a house, how do you think it would come out? Probably not too well.

Same with singing. Only a very fortunate few are able to pick it up, and do it naturally over time, and with a lot of practice (a lot!). Everybody else has to train. (a lot!)

If you do invest in your voice, be careful who you choose to "show you the way". There is a lot of B.S. out there (a lot!), and you don't want to waste money on something that won't even help you.

Peace, Tony
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @Whitesnake hi, the sound really is bright so thats great! I would work on this video to get the support right, without support you´ll end up yelling, this is one of the most important foundations you´ll find in youtube, if you really focus in this video everyday youll get a lot of improvement youll really be surprised
    hope I was helpful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3T-xA28fE
  • WhitesnakeWhitesnake Member Posts: 131
    Thank you for response, videoace! You know, I'm actually stopped from searching vocal coaches. I'm already invested in vocal coaches enough to say that Ken Tamplin is my choice and I'll be with him all the way. Like Ken said: "don't try to learn three languages at once". I'm actually trying to apply information from Ken on my singing. When I ask "show me the way", I mean show me direction where I should go. With regards.

Thank you for response, Gaston_Jauregui! Diaphragmatic support is really complex subject to me, yeah. I learned to take the breath before I sing any phrase, but it seems like I do it not the right way. I mean, I take the breath with my diaphragm, but I don't get much force out of it. Thanks for your advice, I will try to learn a good diaphragmatic support before trying to kill myself with this screams! :) With regards!
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited August 2018
    @Whitesnake here is something that could work for now, try sitting in a bench or chair without backseat, or where you have space to not lay on the backseat
    so then you incline to your back supporting your body so you dont fall to the ground with your lower ab (the ones below your belly just like a crunch) and try singing the scales like that, this will get you a better result for now until you get the idea on how to support well

btw this inclination doesnt have to be from vertical to very horizontal inclination is just as soon as you feel the strenght on your abdomen
    hope i explained myself well

good luck!

gaston
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Whitesnake, your pitches seem to be somewhat random. It's hard to tell without a backing track of accompaniment what pitches you are intending to sing. You could sing along with one of Ken's YouTube warmup scales to use as a guide, so that you stay on-pitch with him.

I'm talking about one of Ken's LAH scales. You need something to be a frame of reference so you can stay in pitch and on the right notes as you work on your voice.

@Whitesnake here is something that could work for now, try sitting in a bench or chair without backseat, or where you have space to not lay on the backseat
    so then you incline to your back supporting your body so you dont fall to the ground with your lower ab (the ones below your belly just like a crunch) and try singing the scales like that, this will get you a better result for now until you get the idea on how to support well

btw this inclination doesnt have to be from vertical to very horizontal inclination is just as soon as you feel the strenght on your abdomen
    hope i explained myself well

good luck!

gaston

Thanks, Gaston! I will try it! By the way, can I do some exercise with my diaphragm without singing scales? I am at work right now from 9 to 9, but I have a lot of talking at work.
    edited August 2018
    highmtn said:

Whitesnake, your pitches seem to be somewhat random. It's hard to tell without a backing track of accompaniment what pitches you are intending to sing. You could sing along with one of Ken's YouTube warmup scales to use as a guide, so that you stay on-pitch with him.

I'm talking about one of Ken's LAH scales. You need something to be a frame of reference so you can stay in pitch and on the right notes as you work on your voice.

Thanks you for response, Bob! What you say is true. I did these scales relying on my ear. I did it so that you can clearly hear my voice. I'll do it properly next time. Can I upload one more demo with me singing scales with the accompaniment?

Thanks, Gaston! I will try it! By the way, can I do some exercise with my diaphragm without singing scales? I am at work right now from 9 to 9, but I have a lot of talking at work.
    I believe its better to support your voice even when you speak too :)
    @Gaston_Jauregui well, it's kinda more difficult than controling the breath during singing! :) Because when I sing, I actually know what I need to do and how it should sound. How my voice should be stronger, with nice timbral sound and all that. But in the case of speaking, I don't feel that way. I mean, I don't want to yell at people or raise my voice on them :) So, how can I feel good support in my speaking register when I don't sing?
    basically you can breathe and with the managment or containment of the breath you can actually save your voice when you speak a lot, and this will also serve as a breathing practice