Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

A Huge Step better here's a Short demo of sweet Child O Mine

I sang this yesterday, I was in the car with my partner. I was singing to Myles Kennedy with Slash, and hit a high note which I sustained and it reverberated around the car in perfect tune. My partner was like "WOW!" so I knew It must of been decent. Then in doing so I felt proper diaphram placement. Then I re tried singing on Sweet Child O Mine. my voice isn't too different to axel's at all when I am singing properly.
I added a very soft/slight compression but my throat is mostly open. the first note i hit was bad so I restarted and it sound like it' getting there. Here's a link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CRORfSAoBvIddevNfwnVGR7d2e0s3xGC

Caroline

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    After your initial "false start" this is much more precise than anything else you have posted. It wanders a little bit, but for the most part, you are in-key and on-pitch. This is essential. So you are listening to yourself as you sing and making corrections actively, in order to stay within tolerance, pitch-wise. This skill will be more and more important as you move forward. Correct Pitch is a non-negotiable requirement as a singer. You are proving that you are capable of being mindful of this skill and it is totally possible to sharpen and improve this skill. You must not allow anything to let you be distracted or discouraged from the need to become a member of the Pitch Police. Don't let your guard down, and don't fool yourself into thinking it's "good enough" if it's not SPOT-ON.

I think you can do this. But you get discouraged sometimes. You're the boss. You're in charge of your voice. Don't take the lazy road. Like guitar, it takes work and attention to detail. Take it to the limit and you'll have something to be proud of.
  • ContraltoLivesMatterContraltoLivesMatter Member Posts: 124
    Thanks! :) Great feed back! :smile::) I found that sweet spot with my diaphram, and found Tai Chi has helped me relax more before I go into the studio I did a better version in the studio today as a real first take of the song. I'll share that too. So from what your saying is that I should be able to really benefit from the course when I buy it soon?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    What I am saying is that the course will provide you with exercises and techniques. You have to learn the techniques and apply them. You also have to be mindful of how you apply them and how closely you are staying on-pitch as you progress. If you do the work, the techniques will give you the way to do it. It takes time and it takes effort, and you have to be willing to go the distance. There is no other way to get there, than to put in the training time, and to be vigilant as to staying on pitch and on task.

Your discovery of your Sweet Spot is the kind of thing you have to latch on to and learn to recall it, so that you don't have to start from scratch every time you sing. There is more than one sweet spot. There are a number of sweet spots and you have to find them all and put them together to give your voice known places to go to get you through many songs.