Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

If you get a sore throat? I did the Axl Rose thing. Stupid I know

I sang sweet Child of mine full on , as I sang it tone got better and better. Until I realised I didn't go "compressed" lightly fried. "clean" open throat. And accidentally Hyper impressed. Sore throat. How long before I can begin to sing again? How to treat my voice at the moment? Any tips Welcomed

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Sounds more like a stricture than hyper-compression.
    Compression happens way down, Axl did his thing in the upper throat which leads to strictures... i.e. painful throat lock-ups.
    Regardless, maybe give yourself a day, hydrate like crazy, then start back with a gentle La-Ah exercise to re-establish things.
  • ContraltoLivesMatterContraltoLivesMatter Member Posts: 124
    Sounds good. Tissue is swollen, no upper range. Now I totally get the open throat importance on the health side
    Damn... you see that Axl type buzzsaw distortion is created in the upper throat by squeezing it down (exact opposite of open-throat). The problem lies in that this also sets the stage for vocal strictures. WHen it happens, its not unlike inhaling a flake of pepper that completely locks up your throat and brings tears to your eyes while you cough it out.

Please rest your voice, and drink lots of fluids
    In a day or 2 start back with a very gentle Lah-Ah exercise to help rebuild.
    Drinking a bit of Aloe Vera juice will probably help reduce the inflamation as well.

Cheers,

Phillip
    Taking the next couple days off, play some guitar solos instead. Lessons learned
    Heard Fergie sing sweet Child O mine. Open throat all the way minimal compression and sounded great!
    Yup... I also heard Lady Ga-Ga do a mean Robert Plant safely, and these women are the real deal!

Also, just to avoid confusion, compression is a good thing, squeezing/distorting the upper throat into stricture is not.
    There are tons of explanations of compression on here, but in a nutshell it is a pressurization of the diaphragm/belly reserve tank that drives open-throat singing.
    There are a few free videos regarding it by Ken on YouTube :smile:
  • half the time trying to compress or singing with an open throat I get a stricture anyway, half the time singing isn't enjoyable because of this
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited September 2018
    You can learn to compress correctly. It's an element of support. It's explained in KTVA eventually (VOL3).
    Minimal air use becomes very important for your singing, especially on demanding songs.

It might take a while to really understand the correct technique, but you can learn it with KTVA for sure.

All the best,

Ben
  • Mindfulness got it. KTVA course will be so good when I get it